|Baylor vs. Oklahoma State
Feb. 9, 2014 | 3:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/6 Baylor Hosts OSU in Second Straight ESPN2 Contest...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, under the direction of 14th-year head coach Kim Mulkey, are 19-3 overall, sit alone atop the Big 12 standings at 9-1 and have won 32-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents. The Lady Bears seek to post their 14th straight 20-win season, a continuing school and Big 12 record, when they take on Oklahoma State on Sunday, Feb. 9, at 3:00 p.m. (CT), in a game televised on ESPN2. Joe Davis will handle play-by-play duties while Carolyn Peck will provide color analysis. The contest on ESPN2 marks Baylor's second-straight nationally televised game.
The Oklahoma State Cowgirls, under third-year head coach Jim Littell, are 19-3 on the season and own an 8-3 league mark.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a Big 12-best and No. 1 nationally 30.0 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.6 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.7 assists per game and shooting 44.9 percent from the floor, including .420 from beyond the arc. With 572 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 223 makes. In addition, with 2,140 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone and stands fourth on BU's all-time list.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post), is averaging 13.8 points and a team-leading 8.8 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., product ranks No. 5 nationally and leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage, hitting .605 percent of her shots. In the last four games, she has produced three double-doubles and averaged 15.8 points and 13.8 rebounds. On the glass, Davis leads the team with 8.8 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 8.0 an outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.5 a game and Sims averages 4.6 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson ranks No. 17 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.1 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.7 a game. Johnson leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 3.65
The 12th-ranked Cowgirls are led by senior guard Tiffany Bias' 14.7 points per game, while Brittney Martin, a sophomore guard, manages 12.6 points and a team-leading 7.5 rebounds a contest and junior forward Liz Donohoe averages 11.2 points and 7.0 rebounds an outing.
Play 4Kay Pink Game...
Sunday's game vs. Oklahoma State marks Baylor's annual Play 4Kay "Sic `Em for the Cure" contest. Fans are encouraged to wear pink and show support of breast cancer survivors. Survivors will be recognized on the court during halftime.
As part of the Play 4Kay initiative, Baylor Athletics, in partnership with CBS College Sports, is auctioning off several items to help promote breast cancer awareness.
Beginning Monday, Feb. 10, at 8 a.m. (CT) and running through Friday, Feb. 17, at 5 p.m. (CT), 14 items will be auctioned online at BaylorBears.com.
- Baylor has won 32-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string. Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- National Player of the Year Candidate Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.0 ppg, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.9 steals. She is shooting .449 from the floor, .420 from 3-point range and .819 from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 572 career assists and 223 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- National Freshman of the Year Candidate Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.8 points per game and ranks No. 5 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.7 (119-196) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points, 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, #8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 17 nationally in assists per game (6.1) and is No. 6 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.65 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 40 nationally in blocks per game (2.2).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 391-84 (.823) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 153-51 (.750) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
40 Times Four...
- Odyssey Sims has scored 40 or more points four times this season, former Lady Bear standout Brittney Griner recorded five 40-point efforts in her career.
- Sims scored 40-plus on the road three times (47 vs. Kentucky, 40 at Kansas State, 48 at West Virginia) and poured in 44 vs. Texas in the Ferrell Center on Sat., Feb. 1.
- Nina Davis, an undersized post player at 5-11, has recorded seven double-doubles as a rookie. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in rebounding (8.8 rpg) and ranks No. 2 among the league's freshmen in scoring with 13.8 ppg.
- Davis has recorded double-digit scoring in 18 of Baylor's 22 contests and leads the league and ranks No. 5 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 60.7 percent of her shots.
- Davis has hauled down a career-high 17 rebounds on three occasions this season; vs. top-ranked UConn, at No. 8 Oklahoma State and vs. Texas.
- Over the last four games (at No. 8 OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, at Oklahoma), Davis has registered three double-doubles and averaged 15.8 points and 13.8 rebounds.
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.0 points per game, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.6 rebounds and 1.9 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 8.8 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 8.0 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.5 a game and Sims averages 4.6 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 17 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.1 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.7 a game. Johnson lead the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 3.65.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.0 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 9 (13.8 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring and No. 1 in rebounding among the league's rookies.
- Nina Davis is No. 5 in the nation and No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 60.7 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 2 with 8.8 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 6 with 8.0 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 17 with 5.5 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.9), Sune Agbuke (No. 8, 2.8) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 12, 2.2) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.6) and Odyssey Sims (1.9) are No. 1 and No. 7, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.1 apg) and Sims is No. 7 with 4.7 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (48/2.2) ranks No. 3 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
On the Boards...
- Baylor is posting bigger rebounding numbers this season as compared to BU's 2011-12 and 2012-13 rebounding seasons which included Brittney Griner, Destiny Williams and Brooklyn Pope.
- Baylor, led by Nina Davis's 8.8 rpg and Sune Agbuke's 8.0 rpg, is averaging a league-leading 50.5 rpg while the 2011-12 squad ended the season at 45.2 rpg and the 2012-13 team averaged 43.7 per game. Baylor's record for season rebounding average is 46.5 rpg by the 2000-01 squad, Kim Mulkey's first season at BU.
- 22 games into last season, Baylor was averaging 44.3 rpg, this season's team is currently averaging 50.5 rpg, including 18.8 offensive boards a contest.
Oklahoma State Cowgirls...
- Located in Stillwater, Okla., the 12th-ranked OSU Cowgirls enter Sunday's contest with a 19-3 season mark and an 8-3 league record. The Cowgirls are on the cusp on their third-straight 20-win season and fourth in the last five years.
- The Cowgirls are led by senior guard Tiffany Bias' 14.7 points per game, while Brittney Martin, a sophomore guard, manages 12.6 points and a team-leading 7.5 rebounds a contest and junior forward Liz Donohoe averages 11.2 points and 7.0 rebounds an outing.
- OSU is coached by third-year head coach Jim Littell (Southwestern College, 1977). Littell is 62-25 (.713) in his three seasons as OSU's head coach.
Series Record vs. OSU...
- BU leads the series 30-10 and has won nine straight and 12 of the last 13 games.
- BU leads the series in Waco, 17-2, and has won five straight since OSU's 72-68 victory here, March 6, 2008.
- OSU's last series victory over BU came on Jan. 9, 2010, in Stillwater, 78-65.
- Kim Mulkey is 24-5 vs. Oklahoma State, 12-1 in Waco.