|Baylor at Texas
Feb. 9, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Austin, Texas | Frank Erwin Center (16,734)
TV: Longhorn Network
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Face Texas for First Time...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (21-1, 11-0) seek to extend their record-setting 33-game Big 12 regular season win streak and three-game league lead when they travel to Texas on Saturday, Feb. 9.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 21-1 on the season after Wednesday's 86-45 homecourt win over Kansas, and has won 95 of its last 99 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation's best 19 straight.
Karen Aston, in her first season as Texas' head coach, has guided the Longhorns to a 9-12 season mark and at 2-9 in league play currently in ninth place in the Big 12 standings. Aston served one season as Baylor's associate head coach under Mulkey (2006-07) before serving stints as Charlotte's and North Texas' head coach. She was also a restricted earnings assistant coach (1994-96) at Baylor under former BU head coach Sonja Hogg. The Longhorns are led by junior guard Chassidy Fussell's 14.8 points per contest while Nneka Enemkpali, a sophomore forward, averages 14.0 points and a league-leading 10.0 rebounds a contest. Imani McGee-Stafford, a 6-7 freshman center, follows with 10.9 points and 8.8 rebounds an outing.
Saturday's game in Austin marks Texas' annual "Shoot for a Cure" contest which is designed to raise awareness for breast cancer. Fans are encouraged to wear pink to the game. Baylor players will be wearing white and pink socks and pink shoes. The Lady Bears will host their "Play 4Kay/Sic `Em for the Cure" game on Saturday, Feb. 16 vs. TCU (1 p.m.). Fans are encouraged to wear pink to show their support. The Play 4Kay initiative unites a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and research funding.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.9 points and 8.7 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,929 career points, 1,157 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 678 blocks and 12 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (678), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (12).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.4 points an outing, also dishes out 5.8 assists per game. Sims shoots .482 from the field, including .341 from 3-point range and .828 from the free throw line. Over the past five games, she has averaged 8.3 assists per contest.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.1 points and 6.0 rebounds a contest.
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 144-35 in fast break points, 92-21 in Big 12 play.
- Points the point - Baylor 1,081 (49.1 ppg)/Opponent 400 (18.2 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 539 (49.0 ppg)/Opponent 186 (16.9 ppg).
- Brittney Griner needs just 71 points to reach the 3,000-point milestone. She would become just the eighth player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 points; she currently ranks No. 10 on the NCAA career scoring list with 2,929 points (see chart on page 8).
- Griner is averaging 25.6 points and 9.9 rebounds in Big 12 Conference action, she averages 22.9 points and 8.7 boards on the season.
- Kimetria Hayden (995 pts.) needs just five points to become the program's 30th 1,000-point scorer.
- Over the past five games, Hayden has averaged 6.2 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game.
- Odyssey Sims has averaged 8.3 assists over the past five games; 10 vs. OU, 5 at Texas Tech, 9 at OSU, 9 vs. Kansas.
- Texas leads the series 57-25, but Baylor has won four straight contests and can match its longest series win streak with a win tonight. Baylor leads the series 16-10 since Kim Mulkey became the Lady Bears' head coach.
- Texas' last victory over BU came on March 7, 2010, in Waco, 70-54. Brittney Griner was serving a suspension and did not play in the game.
- The Longhorns lead the series in Austin, 27-8, Texas' most recent Austin victory came on Jan. 31, 2010, 61-50.
- Kim Mulkey is 7-5 vs. Texas in games played in the Erwin Center.