|Baylor vs. Texas Tech
Feb. 12, 2013 | 6:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Set for Rematch vs. Texas Tech...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (22-1, 12-0) seek to extend their record-setting 34-game Big 12 regular season win streak, three-game league lead and nation's best 51-game home win streak when they host Texas Tech on Tuesday, Feb. 12.
The contest will be televised regionally by FSSW with John Morris calling the action and Jim Haller handling color analyst duties. Check local listings for area coverage. Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 22-1 on the season after Saturday's 75-48 road win over Texas, and has won 96 of its last 100 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation's best 20 straight.
Texas Tech, under the direction of 14th-year head coach Kristy Curry, is 18-6 on the season and 8-4 in league play and currently sits in third place in the conference standings. The Lady Raiders are led by senior guard Casey Morris' 12.3 points per contest, senior guard Chynna Brown tallies 12.1 points a game and Kelsi Baker, a junior forward, averages 10.5 points an outing. Christine Hyde, a senior guard, leads a trio of Lady Raiders who average 5.0 or more rebounds a contest. Hyde averages 5.9 a game, Brown hauls down 5.5 boards a contest while Baker manages 5.3 rebounds per outing.
Play 4Kay/Sic `Em for the Cure...
The Lady Bears will host their "Play 4Kay/Sic `Em for the Cure" game on Saturday, Feb. 16 vs. TCU (1 p.m.). Fans are encouraged to wear pink to show their support. The Play 4Kay initiative unites a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and research funding. In addition, Baylor's ESPN Big Monday game vs. second-ranked Connecticut, Feb. 18, will also be a Play 4Kay game.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.5 points and 8.4 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,943 career points, 1,160 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 686 blocks and 13 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (686), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (13).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.7 points an outing, also dishes out 5.8 assists per game. Sims shoots .472 from the field, including .326 from 3-point range, and .841 from the free throw line. She has averaged 13.2 points and 7.6 assists over the past five games.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 10.9 points and 5.8 rebounds a contest.
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 154-37 in fast break points, 102-23 in Big 12 play.
- Points the point - Baylor 1,119 (48.7 ppg)/Opponent 420 (18.3 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 577 (48.1 ppg)/Opponent 206 (17.2 ppg).
- Brittney Griner needs just 57 points to reach the 3,000-point milestone. She would become just the eighth player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 points; she currently ranks No. 10 on the NCAA career scoring list with 2,943 points (see chart on page 8).
- Griner is averaging 24.7 points and 9.3 rebounds in Big 12 Conference action, she averages 22.5 points and 8.4 boards on the season.
- Kimetria Hayden (1,003 pts.) became the program's 30th 1,000-point scorer.
- Over the past five games, Hayden has averaged 7.6 points, 6.0 rebounds and 4.2 assists per game.
- Odyssey Sims has averaged 13.2 points and 7.6 assists over the past five games.
- The Lady Bears' 51-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 34-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 20 straight victories.
- Texas Tech leads the series 47-29, but Baylor has won the last four meetings.
- Texas Tech's last victory over BU came on Feb. 19, 2011, in Lubbock, it marks Baylor's last Big 12 Conference regular season loss. Baylor has since won a league record 34 straight regular season games.
- Texas Tech leads the series in games played in Waco, 20-12, but Baylor has won the last eight games in the Ferrell Center. The Lady Raiders' last victory in Waco came on Feb. 8, 2004, 62-59.
- Since March 10, 2004, Baylor has won 18 of the last 20 games, including 14 of the last 15 contests.
- BU is 21-8 vs. Texas Tech under Kim Mulkey, including a 10-2 Ferrell Center mark.