|Baylor at Texas Tech
Feb. 12, 2014 | 6:30 p.m. CT
Lubbock, Texas | United Spirit Arena (15,050)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/4 Baylor Travels to Texas Tech on Wednesday...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, under the direction of 14th-year head coach Kim Mulkey, are 20-3 overall and sit alone atop the Big 12 standings at 10-1. Baylor will play at Texas Tech on Wednesday, Feb. 12, at 6:30 p.m.
With Sunday's win over 12th-ranked Oklahoma State, the Lady Bears posted their 14th straight 20-win season, a continuing school and Big 12 record.
The Texas Tech Lady Raiders, under first-year head coach Candi Whitaker, are 6-17 on the season and own an 0-12 league mark.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead the nation in scoring at 30.2 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.4 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.7 assists per game and shooting 46.0 percent from the floor, including .429 from beyond the arc. With 576 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 226 makes. In addition, with 2,173 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone and stands fourth on BU's all-time list.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 13.9 points and a team-leading 8.8 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., product ranks No. 4 nationally and leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage, hitting .606 percent of her shots. In the last five games, she has produced three double-doubles and averaged 15.6 points and 12.8 rebounds.
On the glass, Davis leads the team with 8.8 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.8 an outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.4 a game, Sims and sophomore Kristina Higgins each average 4.4 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson ranks No. 16 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.7 a game. Johnson leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 3.87
The Lady Raiders are led by junior guard Amber Battles' 17.9 points and 7.7 rebounds per game.
Sims and Davis Sweep Big 12 Weekly Awards Again...
Odyssey Sims and Nina Davis were selected for Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Basketball weekly honors, as chosen by a media panel. Sims earned her 13th career award and eighth player of the week recognition, including the sixth this season. Davis received freshman honors for the fifth time. It marks the second time this season (December 9) for the duo to be honored in the same week.
Sims topped all scorers in wins at Oklahoma and versus No. 12 Oklahoma State. The nation's leading scorer averaged 30.0 points, 3.5 assists, 2.0 rebounds and 2.0 steals. She was 22-of-43 (.512) from the floor, including 6-of-9 (.667) from beyond the arc, and hit 10-of-11 (.909) free throws.
Davis averaged 17.0 points and 11.5 rebounds in Baylor's two victories. She registered 19 points and 14 rebounds at Oklahoma for her seventh double-double of the season. She sank 9-of-11 from the floor and added three steals and two assists. The rookie narrowly missed another double-double with 15 points and nine rebounds vs. No. 12 Oklahoma State.
- Baylor's two turnovers vs. Texas (Feb. 1) were a program low, BU's previous low was five, three times -- vs. Minnesota, 12/5/10; vs. Colorado, 2/33/06; at Iowa State, 2/27/02.
- Baylor has won 33-straight home games vs. Big 12 opponents.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string. Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- National Player of the Year candidate Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.2 ppg, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.9 steals. She is shooting .460 from the floor, .429 from 3-point range and .821 from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 576 career assists and 226 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Sims has scored 694 points as a senior and needs 43 to crack BU's single-season list. Her season average (30.2 ppg) is well ahead of both the BU (24.6 ppg) and Big 12 (26.7 ppg) season mark.
- National Freshman of the Year candidate Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.9 points per game and ranks No. 4 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.6 (126-208) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points, 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, #at 8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 16 nationally in assists per game (6.4) and is No. 1 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.87 per contest.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 43 nationally in blocks per game (2.1).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 392-84 (.824) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 154-51 (.751) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
Sims Earns National Honor...
- Odyssey Sims was named by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association as its Ann Meyers Drysdale Women's National Player of the Week for games ending the week of Feb. 9. The USBWA's weekly honor will be handed out each Tuesday through Feb. 25 this season.
- Sims averaged 30.0 points, 2.0 rebounds and 3.5 steals, shooting 22-of-43 (.512) from the field, including 6-9 from three-point land, to help the Bears sweep Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in their two games.
- With its win Sunday (Feb. 9) over 12th-ranked Oklahoma State, Baylor posted its 14th straight and 20th overall 20-win season.
- 14 of the 20, 20-win seasons have come under head coach Kim Mulkey. She has guided the Lady Bears to at least 20 wins every season since her arrival on campus.
Sims Simply Stellar...
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, turned in a stellar performance in Baylor's 78-62 victory at West Virginia, establishing career highs in both points (48) and rebounds (10). Her 48-point effort was the second-highest in Big 12 history behind Brittney Griner's 50-point game, March 4, 2013, vs. Kansas State.
- Sims shot 14-29 (.483) from the floor, including 6-10 (.600) from 3-point range, and 14-17 (.824) from the charity stripe with seven assists and two steals.
40 Times Four...
- Odyssey Sims has scored 40 or more points four times this season, former Lady Bear standout Brittney Griner recorded five 40-point efforts in her career.
- Sims scored 40-plus on the road three times (47 vs. Kentucky, 40 at Kansas State, 48 at West Virginia) and poured in 44 vs. Texas in the Ferrell Center on Sat., Feb. 1.
- Nina Davis, an undersized post player at 5-11, has recorded seven double-doubles as a rookie. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in rebounding (8.8 rpg) and ranks No. 2 among the league's freshmen in scoring with 13.9 ppg.
- Davis has recorded double-digit scoring in 19 of Baylor's 23 contests and leads the league and ranks No. 5 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 60.6 percent of her shots.
- Davis has hauled down a career-high 17 rebounds on three occasions this season; vs. top-ranked UConn, at No. 8 Oklahoma State and vs. Texas.
- Over the last five games (at No. 8 OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, at Oklahoma, No. 12 OSU), Davis has registered three double-doubles and averaged 15.6 points and 12.8 rebounds.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.2 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.9 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring and No. 1 in rebounding among the league's rookies.
- Nina Davis is No. 4 in the nation and No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 60.6 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 2 with 8.8 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 7 with 7.8 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 18 with 5.4 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 3.9), Sune Agbuke (No. 7, 2.8) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 12, 2.1) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.9) and Odyssey Sims (2.0) are No. 1 and No. 7, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (6.4 apg) and Sims is No. 7 with 4.7 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (48/2.1) ranks No. 3 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
On the Boards...
- Baylor is posting bigger rebounding numbers this season as compared to BU's 2011-12 and 2012-13 rebounding seasons which included Brittney Griner, Destiny Williams and Brooklyn Pope.
- Baylor, led by Nina Davis' 8.8 rpg and Sune Agbuke's 7.8 rpg, is averaging a league-leading 49.7 rpg while the 2011-12 squad ended the season at 45.2 rpg and the 2012-13 team averaged 43.7 per game. Baylor's record for season rebounding average is 46.5 rpg by the 2000-01 squad, Kim Mulkey's first season at BU.
- 23 games into last season, Baylor was averaging 44.3 rpg, this season's team is currently averaging 49.7 rpg, including 18.4 offensive boards a contest.
Sims Reaches 2,000 Points...
- Odyssey Sims, with her 31 points at Kansas, became just the fifth Lady Bear to score 2,000 career points, joining Suzie Snider Eppers (3,861), Brittney Griner (3,283), Sophia Young (2,480) and Maggie Davis-Stinnett (2,027).
- Sims' 2,173 career points rank No. 4 on Baylor's scoring list.
- Sims needs 308 points to overtake No. 3 Sophia Young on the BU list.
- Sims ranks No. 9 on the Big 12's all-time list, and needs 13 points to overtake No. 8 Brittany Spears of Colorado, who had 2,185 from 2008-11 and 15 points to move to No. 7, bumping OU's Phylesha Whaley down (2,187, 1997-00).
Texas Tech Lady Raiders...
- Located in Lubbock, Texas, the Texas Tech Lady Raiders enter Wednesday's contest at 6-17 on the season and 0-12 in league play. Texas Tech is mired in a 13-game losing streak which started on Dec. 22, 2013, with a 58-57 home loss to Abilene Christian.
- The Lady Raiders are led by junior guard Amber Battles' 17.9 points and 7.7 rebounds per game.
- Texas Tech is coached by first-year head coach Candi Whitaker (Texas Tech, 2002). Whitaker spent last season as the associate head coach at Oklahoma State under Jim Littell. Prior to her time in Stillwater, she served as head coach at the University of Missouri-Kansas City for six seasons (2006-2012). Whitaker, a former point guard at Texas Tech under legendary coach Marsha Sharp, is 6-17 (.261) in her first season along the Texas Tech sideline and 83-110 (.430) in her seven seasons as a head coach.
Series Record vs. Texas Tech...
- Texas Tech leads the series 47-31, but Baylor has won the last six meetings.
- Texas Tech's last victory over BU came on Feb. 19, 2011, in Lubbock, 56-45.
- Texas Tech leads the series in games played in Lubbock, 25-9, but Baylor has won six of the last seven games in United Spirit Arena.
- BU is 23-8 vs. Texas Tech under Kim Mulkey, including a 7-6 United Spirit Arena mark.