|Baylor at Texas
Feb. 16, 2014 | 12:00 p.m. CT
Austin, Texas | Frank Erwin Center (16,540)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 7/4 Baylor On Road Again, Face Texas on Sunday Afternoon...
The seventh-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, under the direction of 14th-year head coach Kim Mulkey, are 21-3 overall and sit alone atop the Big 12 standings at 11-1. Baylor will play its second straight road contest as it travels to Austin to face Texas on Sunday, Feb. 16, at 12:00 p.m.
The contest will be televised nationally by Fox Sports 1, as Ron Thulin will handle play-by-play duties while Brenda VanLengen will provide color analysis.
The Texas Longhorns, under second-year head coach Karen Aston, are 17-7 on the season and own an 8-4 league mark. The Longhorns have reeled off three straight wins since losing to Baylor in Waco on Feb. 1, 87-73.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead the nation in scoring at 30.2 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.5 rebounds a contest while dishing out 4.5 assists per game and shooting 46.4 percent from the floor, including .442 from beyond the arc. With 577 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time leader and also owns BU's career 3-point field goal record with 232 makes. In addition, with 2,203 career points, she is the fifth Lady Bear player to reach the 2,000-point milestone and stands fourth on BU's all-time list.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 13.8 points and a team-leading 8.9 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., product ranks No. 8 nationally and leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage, hitting .594 percent of her shots. In the last six games, she has produced four double-doubles and averaged 15.2 points and 12.3 rebounds.
On the glass, Davis leads the team with 8.9 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.7 an outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.5 a game, Sims and sophomore Kristina Higgins each average 4.5 a contest.
Sophomore guard Niya Johnson ranks No. 13 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12, averaging 6.5 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.5 a game. Johnson leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 3.88.
The Longhorns are led by junior forward Nneka Enemkpali's 13.0 points and 9.3 rebounds a contest while senior guard Chassidy Fussell follows with 10.2 points a game.
Four Games Within a Short Span...
- Baylor, beginning with Sunday's game at Texas, will play four games within a nine-day span, two road and two home games. The Lady Bears play at Texas (Sun., Feb. 16), host Iowa State (Wed., Feb. 19), play at TCU (Sat., Feb. 22) and host Oklahoma (Mon., Feb. 24). Three of the four games are televised.
- Earlier this season Baylor also had the same schedule, four games in nine days; at Oklahoma State (Jan. 26), vs. Texas Tech (Jan. 29), vs. Texas (Feb. 1), at Oklahoma (Feb. 3), and went 4-0 in that span.
- Baylor's two turnovers vs. Texas (Feb. 1) were a program low, BU's previous low was five, three times -- vs. Minnesota, 12/5/10; vs. Colorado, 2/33/06; at Iowa State, 2/27/02.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string. Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- National Player of the Year Candidate Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.2 ppg, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.5 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.8 steals. She is shooting .464 from the floor, .442 from 3-point range and .818 from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 577 career assists and 232 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Sims' 72 made treys this season is three short of Emily Niemann's BU single-season record of 75 (2003-04).
- Sims has scored 724 points as a senior and needs 13 to crack BU's single-season list. Her season average (30.2 ppg) is well ahead of both the BU (24.6 ppg, Suzie Snider Eppers, 1976-77) and Big 12 (26.7 ppg, OSU's Andrea Riley, 2010) season marks.
- National Freshman of the Year candidate Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 13.8 points per game and ranks No. 8 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 59.4 (130-219) percent. Davis has averaged 15.7 points, 15.0 rebounds and 3.0 assists this season vs. top 10 opponents (#5 Kentucky, #1 UConn, at #8 Oklahoma State).
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 13 nationally in assists per game (6.5) and is No. 1 in assist/turnover ratio at 3.88 per contest, dishing our 155 assists with only 40 turnovers.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-4 post, ranks No. 45 nationally in blocks per game (2.0).
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 393-84 (.824) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Kim Mulkey sports a 155-51 (.752) record vs. current Big 12 Conference teams.
- Kim Mulkey has 393 career wins in her 14 seasons at Baylor, in the 26 years before her arrival, BU had won just 394 games.
- With its win Sunday (Feb. 9) over 12th-ranked Oklahoma State, Baylor posted its 14th straight and 20th overall 20-win season.
- 14 of the 20, 20-win seasons have come under head coach Kim Mulkey. She has guided the Lady Bears to at least 20 wins every season since her arrival on campus.
- The Lady Bears need just four more victories to post their 17th, 25-win season overall and 11th straight and 12th overall under Coach Mulkey.
40 Times Four...
- Odyssey Sims has scored 40 or more points four times this season, former Lady Bear standout Brittney Griner recorded five 40-point efforts in her career.
- Sims scored 40-plus on the road three times (47 vs. Kentucky, 40 at Kansas State, 48 at West Virginia) and poured in 44 vs. Texas in the Ferrell Center on Sat., Feb. 1.
Sims Simply Stellar...
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, turned in a stellar performance in Baylor's 78-62 victory at West Virginia, establishing career highs in both points (48) and rebounds (10). Her 48-point effort was the second-highest in Big 12 history behind Brittney Griner's 50-point game, March 4, 2013, vs. Kansas State.
- Sims shot 14-29 (.483) from the floor, including 6-10 (.600) from 3-point range, and 14-17 (.824) from the charity stripe with seven assists and two steals.
- Nina Davis, an undersized post player at 5-11, has recorded seven double-doubles as a rookie. She leads all Big 12 freshmen in rebounding (8.9 rpg) and ranks No. 2 among the league's freshmen in scoring with 13.8 ppg.
- Davis has recorded double-digit scoring in 20 of Baylor's 24 contests and leads the league and ranks No. 5 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 59.4 percent of her shots.
- Davis has hauled down a career-high 17 rebounds on three occasions this season; vs. top-ranked UConn, at No. 8 Oklahoma State and vs. Texas.
- Over the last six games (at No. 8 OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, at Oklahoma, No. 12 OSU, at Texas Tech), Davis has registered four double-doubles and averaged 15.2 points and 12.3 rebounds.
Mulkey Gaining Ground on 400 Wins...
- Kim Mulkey needs seven more wins to reach the 400 victory plateau; only one person, her mentor Leon Barmore, attained the milestone quicker. It took Barmore 13 seasons and three games to accumulate 400 wins.
- The earliest Mulkey could get 400 victories would be 13 years, 31 games.
- UConn head coach Geno Auriemma needed 15 seasons and seven games for 400 and the legendary Pat Summitt achieved the feat in 15 seasons and 19 games.
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 30.2 points per game, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 1.9 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 8.8 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.8 and outing. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) manages 5.4 a game, Sims and sophomore post Kristina Higgins each average 4.4 a contest.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 13 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 6.4 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.7 a game. Johnson leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 3.88.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.2 ppg and 3-point field goals made with 3.0 per game, while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 10 (13.8 ppg). Davis ranks No. 2 in scoring and No. 1 in rebounding among the league's rookies.
- Nina Davis is No. 4 in the nation and No. 1 the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 59.4 percent.
- Three of Baylor's four posts rank among the league's top 20 in rebounding. Nina Davis ranks No. 2 with 8.9 rpg, Sune Agbuke ranks No. 7 with 7.7 rpg, while Khadijiah Cave is No. 18 with 5.5 rpg.
- Nina Davis (No. 2, 4.0), Sune Agbuke (No. 8, 2.8) and Khadijiah Cave (No. 14, 2.1) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Niya Johnson (3.9) and Odyssey Sims (2.0) are No. 1 and No. 7, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 1 in the league in assists (6.5 apg) and Sims is No. 7 with 4.5 a contest.
- Sune Agbuke (49/2.0) ranks No. 3 in the Big 12 in blocked shots.
On the Boards...
- Baylor is posting bigger rebounding numbers this season as compared to BU's 2011-12 and 2012-13 rebounding seasons which included Brittney Griner, Destiny Williams and Brooklyn Pope.
- Baylor, led by Nina Davis' 8.9 rpg and Sune Agbuke's 7.7 rpg, is averaging a league-leading 49.6 rpg while the 2011-12 squad ended the season at 45.2 rpg and the 2012-13 team averaged 43.7 per game. Baylor's record for season rebounding average is 46.5 rpg by the 2000-01 squad, Kim Mulkey's first season at BU.
- 24 games into last season, Baylor was averaging 44.5 rpg, this season's team is currently averaging 49.6 rpg, including 18.2 offensive boards a contest.
- Located in Austin, Texas, the Texas Longhorns enter Sunday's contest with a 17-7 season mark and an 8-4 league record. The Longhorns are coming off a 69-63 win at Kansas State on Wednesday, Feb. 12. The Longhorns, enjoying a three-game win streak, are 6-0 in Big 12 games in the Erwin Center this season and 12-1 overall.
- Texas is led by junior forward Nneka Enemkpali's 13.0 points and 9.3 rebounds a contest while senior guard Chassidy Fussell follows with 10.2 points a game. Imani McGee-Stafford, a 6-7 sophomore center, comes off the bench to score 9.7 points and haul down 6.7 rebounds an outing.
- Texas is coached by seventh-year head coach Karen Aston (Arkansas-Little Rock, 1987). Aston owns a 130-88 (.596) career mark and is 29-25 (.537) in her second season along the Longhorn sideline. She served two stints (1994-96 and 2006-07) as a Lady Bear assistant.
Series Record vs. Texas...
- Texas leads the series 57-28, but Baylor has won seven straight contests, posting its longest series win streak.
- Baylor leads the series 19-10 since Kim Mulkey became the Lady Bears' head coach, including an 8-5 edge in games played in Austin.
- Texas' last victory over BU came on March 7, 2010, in Waco, 70-54. Brittney Griner was serving a suspension and did not play in the game.
- The Longhorns lead the series in Austin, 27-9, Texas' most recent Erwin Center victory came on Jan. 31, 2010, 61-50. Since then, Baylor has won three straight in Austin.