|Baylor vs. TCU
Feb. 16, 2013 | 1:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Host TCU in Play 4Kay Game...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (23-1, 13-0) seek to clinch at least a tie for a Big 12 Conference crown, extend their record-setting 35-game Big 12 regular season win streak, four-game league lead and nation’s best 52-game home win streak when they host TCU on Saturday, Feb. 16.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 23-1 on the season after Tuesday’s 89-47 homecourt win over Texas Tech, and has won 97 of its last 101 games since the start of the 2010-11 season, including a nation’s best 21 straight.
TCU, under the direction of 21st-year head coach Jeff Mittie, is 7-16 on the season and 0-12 in league action after dropping a homecourt game vs. Kansas (76-75) on Wednesday. The Horned Frogs are led by freshman guard Zahna Medley’s 13.4 points per contest while Natalie Ventress, a sophomore forward, averages 12.2 points and freshman guard Kamy Cole averages 9.7 a contest. TCU is led in rebounding by junior center Latricia Lovings’ 9.4 boards an outing.
Play 4Kay/Sic ‘Em for the Cure...
The Lady Bears will host their “Play 4Kay/Sic ‘Em for the Cure” game on Saturday, Feb. 16 vs. TCU (1 p.m.). Fans are encouraged to wear pink to show their support. The Play 4Kay initiative unites a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and research funding.
As part of the WBCA Play 4Kay® initiative, Baylor Athletics, in partnership with CBS College Sports, is auctioning off several items to help promote breast cancer awareness.
Beginning Monday, Feb. 18 at 8 a.m. (central) and running through Friday, Feb. 22 at 5 p.m., 16 items will be auctioned online at BaylorBears.com.
In addition to the "Sic `Em for the Cure" game at home, the Lady Bears will take part in the same initiative at Connecticut on Monday, Feb. 18. Leading up to this ESPN Big Monday game, Baylor and UConn will compete in a fan challenge to raise money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund®.
Baylor fans can text BEARS to 85944 to donate $10. A donation can also be made online at www.play4kay.org/bears, by clicking on the "Give Now" button.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.0 points and 8.5 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,953 career points, 1,171 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 693 blocks and 13 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12’s all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (693), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (13).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 13.0 points an outing, also dishes out 5.8 assists per game. Sims shoots .471 from the field, including .346 from 3-point range, and .836 from the free throw line. She has averaged 16.0 points over the last four games and 7.2 assists over the past six games.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.1 points and 5.9 rebounds a contest.
Baylor’s Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation’s-best 52 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- UConn snapped Stanford’s 82-game home win streak on Dec. 29, 2012.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation’s-best 35 consecutive regular season league contests.
- Baylor has won 41 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- At 21 consecutive victories, Baylor owns the nation’s longest active win streak.
- Baylor has won 20 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons, a Big 12 record.
Over the Last Six Games...
- Kimetria Hayden - 4.7 assists per game
- Jordan Madden - 9.8 points per game; at least one trey in last five games
- Odyssey Sims - 7.2 assists per game; 16.0 points per game over last four games
- Destiny Williams - 8.3 rebounds per game
Griner, Hayden and Madden...
- Through three-plus years, fourth-year players Brittney Griner, Kimetria Hayden and Jordan Madden are 124-14 (.899) overall and 55-8 (.873) in regular season Big 12 games.
- The trio is 67-2 (.971) in games played in the Ferrell Center, their only two losses came in their rookie year (2009-10), losing to Big 12 foes Nebraska (1/17/10) and Texas (3/7/10) , they have won 52 straight Ferrell Center games.
- This group has four Big 12 titles, three NCAA Tournament trips, an NCAA Championship and two Final Four appearances to their credit.
- BU leads the series 24-5
- Baylor has won 13 straight contests versus the Horned Frogs; TCU’s last victory over BU came on Feb. 28, 1990, in Fort Worth. TCU’s last Waco victory came on Jan. 27, 1990, 73-70.
- Baylor leads the series 11-2 in games played in Waco.
- Kim Mulkey is 1-0 vs. TCU.