|Baylor at Connecticut
Feb. 18, 2013 | 8:09 p.m. CT
Hartford, Conn. | XL Center (16,294)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Lady Bears Take on Another Top 10 Opponent, No. 3/2 UConn...
The defending national champion and top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (24-1) seek to extend their nation's best 22-game win streak when they play a non-conference road game vs. No. 3/2 Connecticut in Hartford's XL Center on Monday, Feb. 18.
The contest, a Big Monday game as part of ESPN's Rivalry Week, will be nationally televised on ESPN2 with the Women's Final Four crew of Dave O'Brien (play-by-play), Doris Burke (analyst) and Rebecca Lobo (sideline) calling the action.
Monday's game marks Baylor's fifth overall and first non-conference Big Monday appearance, as the Lady Bears are 4-0 when playing on ESPN on Mondays. The contest is just Baylor's second ever non-conference contest during league play, as the ninth-ranked Lady Bears played at No. 4 LSU on Jan. 30, 2006, and lost 88-57.
The Lady Bears' game with No. 3/2 UConn marks their fifth top-10 opponent of the season; No. 6/7 Kentucky, No. 4/4 Stanford, No. 5/5 Notre Dame and No. 10/11 Tennessee. Baylor is 3-1 vs. top-10 opponents this season with its lone loss coming vs. Stanford.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 24-1 on the season after Saturday's 78-45 homecourt win over TCU, and has won 98 of its last 102 games since the start of the 2010-11 season. Also, the win over TCU clinched at least a share of BU's third straight regular-season Big 12 title (fourth all-time).
UConn, under the direction of 28th-year head coach Geno Auriemma, is 24-1 on the season after posting a win at Rutgers (65-45) on Saturday afternoon. Sophomore forward Kaleena Mosqueda-Lewis leads a quartet of Huskies who average double-digit scoring with 16.6 points per contest. Stefanie Dolson, a junior center, averages 14.2 points, freshman forward Breanna Stewart comes off the bench to score 13.5 a contest and Kelly Faris, a senior guard, manages 10.8 points an outing. UConn is led in rebounding by Stewart's 6.8 boards a game while Dolson follows with 6.3 a contest.
Play 4Kay/Sic `Em for the Cure...
The Lady Bears will take part in the Play 4Kay initiative at Connecticut on Monday, Feb. 18. Leading up to this ESPN2 Big Monday game, Baylor and UConn will compete in a fan challenge to raise money for the Kay Yow Cancer Fund®.
Baylor fans can text BEARS to 85944 to donate $10. A donation can also be made online at www.play4kay.org/bears, by clicking on the "Give Now" button.
The Play 4Kay initiative unites a nation of coaches to raise breast cancer awareness and research funding.
As part of the WBCA Play 4Kay® initiative, Baylor Athletics, in partnership with CBS College Sports, is auctioning off several items to help promote breast cancer awareness.
Beginning Monday, Feb. 18, at 8 a.m. (central) and running through Friday, Feb. 22, at 5 p.m., 16 items will be auctioned online at BaylorBears.com.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 22.0 points and 8.6 boards per game. Griner currently has 2,975 career points, 1,181 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 695 blocks and 13 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (695), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (13).
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.4 points an outing, also dishes out 5.7 assists per game. Sims shoots .464 from the field, including .321 from 3-point range, and .836 from the free throw line.
- Forward Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.1 points and 5.8 rebounds a contest.
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 166-37 in fast break points, 114-23 in Big 12 play.
- Points in the paint - Baylor 1,225 (49.0 ppg)/Opponent 444 (17.8 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 683 (48.8 ppg)/Opponent 230 (16.4 ppg).
- Brittney Griner needs just 25 points to reach the 3,000-point milestone. She would become just the eighth player in NCAA Division I history to reach 3,000 points; she currently ranks No. 9 on the NCAA career scoring list with 2,975 points.
- Baylor owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 22 straight victories.
- Griner ranks No. 2 on the NCAA's list for most games scoring in double figures with 135 twin-digit efforts. UConn's Maya Moore holds the NCAA record at 149.
- In 430 of 442 games under Kim Mulkey, the Lady Bears have held their opponent at or below 50 percent field goal shooting with only four of those coming in the last 11 years.
- In Baylor's last 242 games, only one opponent (Stanford, .509) has shot 50 percent or above. This season, the Cardinal broke BU's 217-game streak of holding an opponent to 50 percent or less shooting from the floor.
- Baylor is 9-1 vs. ranked opponents this season and five players are averaging 8.5 or more points per game vs. rated foes: Griner (22.7 ppg), Odyssey Sims (11.8), Brooklyn Pope (10.4), Destiny Williams and Jordan Madden at 8.5 each.
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in 11 NCAA statistical categories, while four players are among the nation's top 25 statistically.
Big Monday Games...
- Baylor is making its fifth ESPN Big Monday appearance but will be playing in its first non-conference Big Monday game.
- The Lady Bears are 4-0 when playing on ESPN on Mondays.
Big Monday appearances:
Feb. 22, 2010 - defeated Texas A&M, 65-63, in College Station
Feb. 14, 2011 - defeated Texas A&M in Waco, 67-58
Feb. 6, 2012 - defeated Oklahoma in Waco, 81-54
Feb. 27, 2012 - defeated Texas A&M, 69-62, in College Station
- UConn leads the series, 2-1
- Baylor's lone win came last season, 66-61, in Waco, UConn's first-ever Ferrell Center appearance.
- Kim Mulkey is 1-2 vs. UConn.
Lady Bears vs. UConn...
- In Brittney Griner's three games vs. UConn, she has averaged 19.0 points, 7.7 blocks and 7.3 rebounds. She has blocked 18 shots in the last two games vs. the Huskies (9 & 9).
- Odyssey Sims has averaged 20.0 points per game vs. UConn, 17 points as a freshman and 23 last season.
- In Kimetria Hayden's three games vs. UConn, she has averaged 10.0 points an outing. In addition, she is 15-of-15 from the free throw line.