|No. 1 Baylor vs. No. 8 Kansas State/No. 9 Texas Winner
March 9, 2013 | 1:30 p.m. CT
Dallas, Texas | American Airlines Center (10,279)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
2013 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Championship
First Round - March 8 (Friday)
Game 1: No. 8 Kansas State vs. No. 9 Texas - 6 p.m.
Game 2: No. 7 Kansas vs. No. 10 TCU - 8:30 p.m.
Quarterfinals - March 9 (Saturday)
Game 3: No. 4 Texas Tech vs. No. 5 Oklahoma State - 11 a.m. FSN
Game 4: No. 1 Baylor vs. Game 1 winner - 1:30 p.m. FSN - 1660 AM
Game 5: No. 2 Iowa State vs. Game 2 winner - 6 p.m. FSN
Game 6: No. 3 Oklahoma vs. No. 6 West Virginia - 8:30 p.m. FSN
Semifinals - March 10 (Sunday)
Game 7: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner - 1 p.m. FSN - 1660 AM
Game 8: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner - 3:30 p.m. FSN
Championship - March 11 (Monday)
Game 9: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner - 7 p.m. FSN - 1660 AM
No. 1/1 Baylor Seeks Fifth Big 12 Postseason Title...
The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, NCAA Division I's top-ranked team with a 29-1 overall record and an 18-0 mark in league play, set their sights on a fifth Big 12 Tournament crown since 2005. Baylor claimed its fourth outright Big 12 regular season championship and third straight crown, as BU's first title came in 2005 with a 14-2 league record, followed by first-place finishes of 15-1 in 2011 and 18-0 in both 2012 and 2013. Baylor won the postseason championship and the Big 12's automatic NCAA Tournament bid in 2005, `09, `11 and `12.
- 2012-13 National Player of the Year favorite and Big 12 Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 23.3 points and 8.9 boards per game. Griner currently has 3,123 career points, 1,232 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 721 blocks and 14 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (721), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (14), and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA's career scoring list.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.3 points an outing, also dishes out 5.7 assists per game. Sims shoots .459 from the field, including .308 from 3-point range. Sims ranks No. 2 nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.75).
Baylor in the Big 12 Championship...
In Big 12 Championship contests, Baylor is 5-3 in first round games, 8-5 in quarterfinal contests, 6-2 in semifinal games and 4-2 in the finals.
The Lady Bears are 23-12 (.657) all-told in Big 12 Championship games, including 22-8 (.733) under head coach Kim Mulkey. BU has won its first Big 12 Championship game in 11 of Mulkey's 12 seasons and played in five of the last eight title games.
Baylor Coach and Players Collects Big 12 Honors...
- Kim Mulkey was named Big 12 Coach of the Year for the fourth time.
- Brittney Griner was named Player of the Year for the third time, tying a league record.
- Griner earned a league-record fourth Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year recognition.
- Destiny Williams received the league's Sixth Man Award.
- Griner and Odyssey Sims were listed on the All-Defensive team.
- Griner and Odyssey Sims were first team All-Big 12 selections.
- Alexis Prince was named to the All-Freshman team.
- Kimetria Hayden, Jordan Madden and Brooklyn Pope were All-Big 12 honorable mention selections.
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best and school-record 55 straight home contests, its last home loss was on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 40 consecutive regular season league contests.
- Baylor has won 46 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- At 27 consecutive victories, Baylor owns the nation's longest active win streak, third longest in school history.
- Baylor has won 20 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons, an ongoing Big 12 record.
- BU has 10 straight seasons of 25-plus wins, and needs just one victory to secure its third consecutive 30-win campaign and seventh overall.
Big 12 Action...
- Baylor is a league-best 187-89 (.678) in 17 seasons of Big 12 Conference regular season play.
- Kim Mulkey is 160-52 (.755) in regular-season league play, including 141-50 (.738) vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 (.422) in league play prior to Mulkey's arrival.
Kansas State Wildcats...
- The Kansas State Wildcats, the tournament's No. 8 seed, bring their 14-16 season record and 5-13 Big 12 mark into the Big 12 Championship.
- The Wildcats start five guards and are down to only seven active players; as five Wildcats have suffered season-ending injuries in 2012-13.
- Senior Brittany Chambers, a 5-8 guard, leads the team in both scoring and rebounding at 20.2 points and 7.5 rebounds a game. Sophomore guard Haley Texada (Frisco, Texas/Wakeland HS) averages 11.3 points a contest and Brianna Craig, a 5-10 freshman guard, manages 9.1 points an outing.
- The Wildcats are coached by 17th-year head coach Deb Patterson, a 1979 Rockford College graduate. Patterson is 334-205 (.620) in her 17 seasons as a head coach.
- Baylor leads the series 19-8, including 15 straight victories.
- Kansas State's last series win was on Jan. 27, 2004, in Manhattan, Kan., 85-65.
- In Big 12 Tournament play, BU is 5-2 vs. Kansas State, including semifinal wins the past two seasons.
- Kim Mulkey is 17-4 vs. Kansas State.
- The Texas Longhorns, the tournament's No. 9 seed, enter the Big 12 Championship with a 12-17 season mark and a 5-13 league record.
- Texas is led by junior guard Chassidy Fussell's 14.4 points per contest while Nneka Enemkpali, a sophomore forward, averages 13.0 points and a team-leading 9.5 rebounds a contest. Imani McGee-Stafford, a 6-7 freshman center, follows with 11.0 points and 9.3 rebounds an outing.
- Texas is coached by sixth-year head coach Karen Aston (Arkansas-Little Rock, 1987). Aston owns a 113-80 (.586) career mark and is 12-17 (.414) in her first season along the Longhorn sideline.
- Texas leads the series 57-27, but Baylor has won six straight contests, posting its longest series win streak ever vs. the Longhorns.
- Baylor leads the series 18-10 since Kim Mulkey became the Lady Bears' head coach.
- Texas' last victory over BU came on March 7, 2010, in Waco, 70-54. Brittney Griner was serving a suspension and did not play in the game.
- BU is 0-2 vs. Texas in Big 12 Tournament games but the teams haven't met since 2008.