|No. 1 Baylor vs. No. 2 West Virginia
March 10, 2014 | 8:00 p.m. CT
Oklahoma City, Okla. | Chesapeake Energy Arena (9,801)
|Listen | Live Stats | Notes | Tickets|
2014 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Championship
First Round - March 7 (Friday)
Game 1: No. 8 Kansas 87, No. 9 Kansas State 84 (OT)
Game 2: No. 7 TCU 75, No. 10 Texas Tech 59
Quarterfinals - March 8 (Saturday)
Game 3: No. 4 Oklahoma State vs. No. 5 Iowa State - 11 a.m. • FSN
Game 4: No. 1 Baylor vs. No. 8 Kansas - 1:30 p.m. • FSN • 92.9 & 106.9 FM
Game 5: No. 2 West Virginia vs. No. 7 TCU - 6 p.m. • FSN
Game 6: No. 3 Texas vs. No. 6 Oklahoma - 8:30 p.m. • FSN
Semifinals - March 9 (Sunday)
Game 7: Game 3 winner vs. Game 4 winner - 2 p.m. • FS1 • 92.9 FM & 106.9 FM
Game 8: Game 5 winner vs. Game 6 winner - 4:30 p.m. • FS1
Championship - March 10 (Monday)
Game 9: Game 7 winner vs. Game 8 winner - 8 p.m. • FS1 • ESPN 1660 AM
Baylor Seeks Sixth Big 12 Postseason Title...
The ninth-ranked and top-seeded Baylor Lady Bears enter the finals of the 2014 Phillips 66 Big 12 Women's Championship with a 28-4 overall record and have set their sights on a sixth Big 12 Tournament crown since 2005. Baylor claimed its fifth Big 12 regular season championship and fourth straight crown, as BU's first title came in 2005 with a 14-2 league record, followed by first-place finishes of 15- 1 in 2011, 18-0 in both 2012 and 2013 and a co-championship with West Virginia at 16-2 in 2014. The Lady Bears are the first Big 12 program to win four straight regular season crowns. Baylor won the postseason championship and the Big 12's automatic NCAA Tournament bid in 2005, `09, `11, `12 and `13.
Mulkey Attains 400 wins...
- Baylor head coach Kim Mulkey recorded her 400th career victory in 13 years, 32 games.
- Only one person, her mentor Leon Barmore, attained the milestone quicker. It took Barmore 13 seasons and three games to accumulate 400 wins.
- Mulkey attained the milestone on March 9, with the Lady Bears' 65-61 win over Oklahoma State a Big 12 Championship semifinal game.
- UConn head coach Geno Auriemma needed 15 seasons and seven games for 400 and the legendary Pat Summitt achieved the feat in 15 seasons and 19 games.
- Baylor's 44-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak, which was halted at Kansas (76-60, Jan. 19), was the nation's longest active league win string. Baylor had won 53 straight Big 12 games overall, a league record.
- National Player of the Year Candidate Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 28.7 ppg, which ranks No. 1 nationally, as well as 4.7 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 2.0 steals. She is shooting .445 from the floor, .404 from 3-point range and .801 from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 618 career assists and 248 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Sims' 88 made treys this season breaks Emily Niemann's BU single-season record of 75 (2003-04).
- Sims has scored 919 points as a senior which ranks No. 5 on BU's single-season list. Her season average (29.1 ppg) is well ahead of both the BU (24.6 ppg, Suzie Snider Eppers, 1976-77) and Big 12 (26.7 ppg, OSU's Andrea Riley, 2010) season marks. The NCAA Division I women's single-season record is 1,062 points by Missouri State's Jackie Stiles in 2001 while the Big 12 mark of 929 was set by Baylor's Brittney Griner over 40 games in 2011-12.
- Sims (919 points) needs to score 11 points to break Brittney Griner's Big 12 Conference single season scoring record of 929.
- National Freshman of the Year candidate Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 14.6 points per game and ranks No. 7 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 60.0 (177-295) percent. She is leading the league in rebounding a 9.1 per contest. Against ranked opponents this season, Davis is averaging 15.3 ppg and 13.7 rpg and is shooting 53.7 percent from the field.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 1 nationally in assist/turnover ratio at 3.94 per contest, dishing out 205 assists with only 52 turnovers, and is No. 11 nationally in assists per game (6.4). Johnson has four double-digit assist games to her credit this season ( 14 vs. San Jose State, 11 vs. #5 Kentucky, 12 vs. #12 Oklahoma State and 10 vs. Iowa State).
- Johnson needs just 12 assists to become the program's single-season leader, she has 205 while Sheila Lambert (2001-02) holds the record at 216 in 33 games.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-5 junior, has 97 career blocks to rank No. 10 on BU's career chart.With 63 blocks this season, Agbuke ranks No. 9 on Baylor's single-season block list.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 400-85 (.825) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
West Virginia Mountaineers...
- Located in Morgantown, W.V., the West Virginia University Mountaineers bring their 12-game win streak, 29-3 season record into the league championship finals. Since losing a home contest to Baylor, 78-62, on Jan. 8, the Mountaineers have won 16 of 17 games, their lone loss during that span came at Texas, 66-63, Jan. 25.
- Four Mountaineers are averaging double-digit scoring on the season. WVU is led by sophomore guard Bria Holmes' 14.8 ppg, while senior center Asya Bussie's averages 13.2 points and a team-leading 7.7 rebounds per game. Senior guard Cristal Caldwell scores 12.4 a contest and Taylor Palmer, a senior guard, comes off the bench to average 10.2 points an outing.
- The Mountaineers are coached by 13th-year head coach Mike Carey, a 1980 Salem graduate. Carey is 273-144 (.655) in his 13 seasons as a head coach.
Series Record vs. WVU...
- Baylor leads the series vs. West Virginia, 4-2.
- The two teams split this season as Baylor defefeated WVU in Morgantown, 78-62, on Jan. 8.
- Baylor had won four straight contests before suffering a 71-69 loss to the Mountaineers in Waco on March 2.