| Baylor vs.  Iowa State
March 11, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Dallas, Texas | American Airlines Center (10,279)
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 1/1 Baylor Seeks Fifth Big 12 Postseason Title...
The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, NCAA Division I’s top-ranked team with a 31-1 overall record and an 18-0 mark in league play, set their sights on a fifth Big 12 Tournament crown since 2005. Baylor claimed its fourth outright Big 12 regular season championship and third straight crown, as BU’s first title came in 2005 with a 14-2 league record, followed by first-place finishes of 15-1 in 2011 and 18-0 in both 2012 and 2013. Baylor won the postseason championship and the Big 12’s automatic NCAA Tournament bid in 2005, ‘09, ‘11 and ‘12.
Baylor seeks to become the first team to win three straight Big 12 Championship titles and the first team to win the postseason crown five times. Baylor is making its seventh appearance in championship game.
Baylor in the Big 12 Championship
In Big 12 Championship contests, Baylor is 5-3 in first round games, 9-5 in quarterfinal contests, 7-2 in semifinal games and 4-2 in the finals.
The Lady Bears are 25-12 (.676) all-told in Big 12 Championship games, including 24-8 (.750) under head coach Kim Mulkey. BU has played in five of the last eight title games.
- Entering the 2013 Big 12 Championship, Baylor was shooting .656 from the free throw line. Over the past two Big 12 Championship games, the Lady Bears are 25-28 (.893), raising their season free throw percentage to .666.
- When Baylor is in the house, 2012-13 opponents average an increase of 3,642 fans per game; all-told 103,447 fans have flocked to see the nation’s top-ranked team in action on the road (see chart on page 6).
- Baylor’s 2013 Big 12 Conference six-game league winning effort is second only to its 2012 seven-game winning margin.
- Baylor’s final Big 12 game of the 2013 season, a victory over Kansas State, gave the Lady Bears their second straight perfect league record, becoming the first Big 12 team to achieve two undefeated league campaigns (and fourth all-time).
- In her 13 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 369-81 (.822) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches, behind UConn’s Geno Auriemma (.863).
- Baylor’s speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 218-76 in fast break points, 136-57 in Big 12 play.
- The Lady Bears’ school-record 55-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford’s string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor’s 40-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation’s longest active league win string.
- Baylor owns the nation’s longest win streak in 2012-13 with 29 straight victories.
Big 12 Action...
- Baylor is a league-best 187-89 (.678) in 17 seasons of Big 12 Conference regular season play.
- Kim Mulkey is 160-52 (.755) in regular-season league play, including 141-50 (.738) vs. current Big 12 teams. Baylor was 27-37 (.422) in league play prior to Mulkey’s arrival.
Series Record vs. ISU...
- BU leads the series 16-6 and has won five straight and 11 of the last 12 games.
- Iowa State’s last victory over BU came on Feb. 13, 2010, in Ames, 69-45.
- Baylor leads the series 2-1 in Big 12 Championship games.
Big 12 Championship games
Date | Winner | Score (Round) | Site
3-7-01 | Iowa State | 73-48 (Quarterfinal) | Kansas City, Mo.
3-7-02 | Baylor | 91-83 (Semifinal) | Kansas City, Mo.
3-14-09 | Baylor | 63-57 (Quarterfinal) | Oklahoma City