| Baylor vs.  Prairie View A&M
March 24, 2013 | 6:30 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (9,844)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets | Gameday Central: BU | Waco|
2013 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship
Oklahoma City Regional
First Round - March 24 (Sunday)
Ferrell Center - Waco, Texas
No. 8 Florida State (22-9) vs. No. 9 Princeton (22-6) - ESPN2/ESPN3 - 4:00 p.m. (CT)
No. 1 Baylor (32-1) vs. No. 16 Prairie View A&M (17-14) - ESPN2/ESPN3 - 6:30 p.m. (CT)
Second Round - March 26 (Tuesday)
Game 1 winner vs. game 2 winner - ESPN2/ESPN3 - 8:30 p.m.
Most of the first and second round games will be televised on ESPN2 within 12 telecast windows in a whip-around format with home market protection. ESPN3 and ESPN FULL COURT, the pay-per-view package, will offer complete games as a supplement to ESPN2's coverage.
Baylor in the NCAA Tournament...
Baylor is competing in its 10th straight and 12th all-time NCAA Tournament, as all appearances have come since head coach Kim Mulkey assumed the program's helm. BU is 28-9 (.757) in NCAA Tournament games, including 10-1 in first round games, 7-3 in second round games, 4-3 in the Sweet 16, 3-1 in the Elite Eight, 2-1 in the national semifinals and 2-0 in championship games. BU has won its first-round game in each of its last 11 NCAA trips.
Lady Bear Seeds...
After earning three straight No. 1 seeds and the program's second consecutive overall top seed, it marks the 11th time in 12 trips to the NCAA Tournament that the Lady Bears have been a top five seed. Baylor was also a No. 1 seed in 2011 and 2012, a No. 2 seed twice (2002, `05), a No. 3 seed three times (2006, `08, `09), a No. 4 seed twice (2004, `10) and a No. 5 in 2007.
No. 1/1 Baylor Begins Play in NCAA Championship vs. Prairie View A&M... The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, NCAA Division I's defending national champion and 32-1 on the season, enter the NCAA Championship for the second straight year as the tournament's overall No. 1 seed.
For the second time in three years, the Lady Bears will take on the Prairie View A&M Panthers in first-round action and if victorious will take on the winner of the Florida/Princeton contest.
- Over the past five games, Baylor is shooting .582 from the floor, .412 from 3-point range and .791 from the free throw line.
- Baylor seeks to become just the fourth team to win back-to-back NCAA titles; joining Southern California, Tennessee (twice) and Connecticut (twice) in accomplishing the rare feat. Louisiana Tech won the final AIAW crown in 1981 and the first NCAA title in 1982 with Kim Mulkey as the Lady Techster's starting point guard.
- In her 13 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 370-80 (.822) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches, behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.863).
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 224-76 in fast break points, 136-57 in Big 12 play.
- Points in the paint - Baylor 1,591 (48.2 ppg)/Opponent 594 (18.0 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 873 (48.5 ppg)/Opponent 306 (17.0 ppg).
- The Lady Bears' school-record 55-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor's 40-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 30 straight victories.
- 2012-13 National Player of the Year favorite and Big 12 Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 23.6 points and 9.0 boards per game. Griner currently has 3,203 career points, 1,263 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 736 blocks and 14 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (736), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (14) and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA's career scoring list.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.5 points an outing, also dishes out 5.7 assists per game. Sims shoots .476 from the field, including .342 from 3-point range. Sims ranks No. 2 nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.7).
Last Five Games...
- Over the last five games, Baylor is shooting .582 from the floor, .412 from 3-point range and .791 from the free throw line. Going into the last five games., BU was shooting .504 from the floor, .354 from 3-point range and .647 from the free throw line.
- Brittney Griner is averaging 31.6 points, 9.4 rebounds and is shooting .684 (65-95) from the floor.
- Destiny Williams is shooting .706 (24-34) from the floor, is .800 (8-10) from the charity stripe and averaging 11.2 ppg.
- Odyssey Sims' shooting percentages are elevated as well, as she's shooting .618 (21-24) from the floor, .500 (5-10) from 3-point range and .944 (17-18) from the free throw line.
- The trio is a combined 110-163 (.675) from the floor and 53-63 (.841) from the charity stripe over the last five games.
Griner, Hayden and Madden...
- Through three-plus years, fourth-year players Brittney Griner, Kimetria Hayden and Jordan Madden are 133-14 (.905) overall and 60-8 (.882) in regular season Big 12 games.
- The trio is 70-2 (.972) in games played in the Ferrell Center, their only two losses came as freshmen (2009-10), losing to Big 12 foes Nebraska (1/17/10) and Texas (3/7/10), they have since won 55 straight Ferrell Center games.
- This group has six Big 12 titles, four NCAA Tournament trips, an NCAA Championship and two Final Four appearances to their credit.
Prairie View A&M Panthers...
- Located in Prairie View, Texas, the Prairie View A&M Panthers bring their 17-14 season record to the Ferrell Center when they face the Lady Bears on Sunday night. The Panthers enter the contest after posting a quadruple overtime win (100-87) over Mississippi Valley State to earn the Southwestern Athletic Conference Championship's automatic berth to the NCAA Championship.
- Prairie View A&M will be making its fifth NCAA Tournament appearance and third straight under third-year head coach Toyelle Wilson.
- Senior Latia Williams, a 5-10 guard/forward, leads the team in both scoring and rebounding at 13.2 points and 9.2 rebounds a game. Senior guard Kiara Etienne averages 11.3 points a contest and Larissa Scott, a 6-0 sophomore forward, manages 13.2 points and 7.3 rebounds an outing.
- The Panthers are coached by third-year head coach Toyelle Wilson, a 2003 Manhattan graduate. Wilson is 55-37 (.598) in her three seasons as Prairie View A&M's head coach.
- Baylor leads the series, 14-0. including an 8-0 mark in the Ferrell Center.
- The Lady Bears have outscored the Panthers 1,278-621 over the 14 games, averaging 91.3 points per contest while limiting Prairie View A&M to just 44.4 points an outing.
- Kim Mulkey is 3-0 vs. Prairie View A&M.
- Baylor and Prairie View A&M last met on March 29, 2011, in Waco in first round action of the NCAA Championship.
- Baylor posted a 66-30 victory over the Panthers on ESPN2, behind Brittney Griner and Brooklyn Pope's 17 points each and Kimetria Hayden's 12 points.