|Baylor [#1/1 (36-0)] vs. Georgia Tech [#15/#13 (26-8)]
Saturday, March 24, 2012 | 1:30 p.m. CT
Des Moines, Iowa | Wells Fargo Arena (7,000)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Blog | Tournament Central|
The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, NCAA Division I's lone undefeated team with a school-record 36-0 mark, are the NCAA Championships' overall No. 1 seed.
After downing UC Santa Barbara (81-40) in the first round and the Florida Gators in the second round (76-57), Baylor will play in the NCAA Tournament's Sweet 16 for the fourth straight year and seventh time overall it takes on fourthseeded and 15th-ranked Georgia Tech (26-8) on Saturday, March 24.
Baylor is led by a trio of double-digit scorers on the season. Junior post Brittney Griner, National Player of the Year candidate and 2012 U.S. Olympic Team finalist, leads the Big 12 with 23.1 points per game while sophomore guard Odyssey Sims, an All-America candidate, manages 14.6 a contest, and junior forward/post Destiny Williams adds 10.0 an outing. Junior guard Kimetria Haydenadds 9.1 a game. Williams, Griner and junior forward/post Brooklyn Pope are the team's top rebounders at 9.3, 9.2 and 5.5 boards per game, respectively. Sims is also averaging 4.5 assists and 3.1 steals per contest while Griner manages a nation's best 5.1 blocks per game.
As a team, the Lady Bears are among the nation's top five in nine categories; field goal percentage (No. 1, .491), blocked shots (No. 1, 7.8), field goal percentage defense (No. 2, .307), assist/turnover ratio (No. 2,1.3), scoring margin (No. 2, 27.4), assists (No. 3, 18.6), scoring offense (No. 3, 78.8) and rebound margin (No. 4, 12.1) and scoring defense (No. 5, 51.4).
• Both of Baylor's basketball teams are competing in the 2012 NCAA Championships. The ninth-ranked Bears have advanced to the tournament's Sweet 16 in Atlanta with wins over South Dakota State (68-60) and Colorado (80-63). The Bears will face Xavier on Friday, March 23.
• Baylor and Kansas are the only Big 12 schools with both its men's and women's teams in the Sweet 16 and one of three schools all-told (Kentucky is the other).
• In 2012 NCAA Championship games, BU ranks No. 2 in scoring defense (48.5), scoring margin (30.0) and field goal percentage defense (.300) and No. 4 in scoring offense (78.5).
• Baylor has outscored its 36 opponents by 27.4 points per game on the season and by 23.9 points a game in Big 12 action.
• Brittney Griner has registered a Big 12 record 577 career blocked shots, and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA Division I Career Top 10 list; she trails record-holder Louella Tomlinson's 663 rejections by 86. At her current pace of 5.1 bpg, Griner will need 17 more games to break the record.
• Brittney Griner has scored 2,328 career points and blocked 577 shots; she is the first player in NCAA Division basketball history to record 2,000 points and 500 blocks (blocked shots were added to the NCAA records beginning with the 1985-86 season).
• At 36-0, Baylor is the nation's only undefeated NCAA Division I team, men's or women's. The 36-0 start is the best in Big 12 history; Nebraska opened the 2009-10 season at 30-0 on its way to a 32-2 finish.
• The Lady Bears own NCAA Division I women's basketball's longest active win streak at 36 games.
• Brittney Grinerhas improved her free throw shooting from .684 her freshman season to .804 this season, as her scoring average has gone from 18.4 to 23.1.
BAYLOR IN THE NCAA TOURNAMENT
Baylor is competing in its ninth straight and 11th all-time NCAA Tournament, as all appearances have come since head coach Kim Mulkeyassumed the program's helm. BU is 24-9 in NCAA Tournament games, including 10-1 in first round games, 7-3 in second round games, 3-3 in the Sweet 16, 2-1 in the Elite Eight, 1-1 in the national semifinals and 1-0 in championship games. BU has won its first-round game in each of its last 10 NCAA trips, and has reached the Sweet 16 in each of its last four trips to the big dance.
CAN THEY MAINTAIN PERFECTION?
If Baylor is able to remain perfect this season, it will become the first basketball team, male or female, in NCAA history to produce a 40-0 record. The Lady Bears will have to four more games in the 2012 NCAA Championship to achieve the feat.
14 undefeated champions: 2010 UConn women (39-0), 2009 UConn women (39-0), 2002 UConn women (39-0), 1998 Tennessee women (39-0), 1995 UConn women (35-0), 1986 Texas women (34-0), 1981 Louisiana Tech women (34-0), 1976 Indiana men (32-0), 1973 UCLA men (30-0), 1972 UCLA men (30-0), 1967 UCLA men (30-0), 1964 UCLA men (30- 0),1957 North Carolina men (32-0), 1956 San Francisco men (29-0),
BAYLOR ONLY ONE OF THREE
Baylor is one of only three schools that has their men's and women's teams in the Sweet 16, it is joined by Kansas and Kentucky.
For the second time in Big 12 history, two schools (BU and KU) have advanced both the men's and women's teams to the Sweet 16. It also happened in 2002 (OU and UT). It's the eighth time the league has had at least one school with both teams advance to the Sweet 16.