|(2) Baylor vs. (7) Cal
March 24, 2014 | 8:15 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (9,844)
|Listen | Live Stats | Notes | Tickets|
2014 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship Notre Dame Regional
First Round - March 22 (Saturday)
Ferrell Center - Waco, Texas
No. 7 California def. No. 10 Fordham - 64-63
No. 2 Baylor def. No. 15 Western Kentucky - 87-74
Second Round - March 24 (Monday)
No. 7 California (22-9) vs. No. 2 Baylor (30-4) - ESPN2/ESPN3 - 8:15 p.m.
Most of the first- and second-round tournament games will be televised on ESPN2, within 12 telecast windows in a regionalized format with home market protection. ESPN3 and ESPN FULL COURT, the pay-per-view package, will offer complete games as a supplement to the regionalized coverage. WatchESPN is available on computers, smartphones, tablets, Xbox, Apple TV and Roku via WatchESPN to fans who receive their video subscription from an affiliated provider.
Baylor in the NCAA Tournament...
Baylor is competing in its 11th straight and 13th all-time NCAA Tournament, as all appearances have come since head coach Kim Mulkey assumed the program's helm. BU is 31-10 (.757) in NCAA Tournament play, including 12-1 in first round games, 8-3 in second round games, 4-4 in the Sweet 16, 3-1 in the Elite Eight, 2-1 in the national semifinals and 2-0 in championship games. BU has won its second-round game in its last five tournaments and eight times overall.
Baylor Hosts NCAA First & Second Rounds...
- The Lady Bears will host the NCAA Tournament first and second rounds on March 22 & 24, 2014, in the Ferrell Center.
- Baylor is 6-1 at home in NCAA Championship play.
- Single session tickets are $25 for adults and $15 for youth. Every person, regardless of age, must have a ticket to enter the facility.
- Contact the Baylor Ticket Office at 254-710-1000, order online at www.BaylorBears.com or purchase at the Baylor Athletic Ticket office at the Ferrell Center.
o. 5/6 Baylor Plays No. 24/21 California in NCAA Championship Second-Round Action...
The fifth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears are competing the NCAA Championship for the third time in program history as one of the tournament's four No. 2 seeds.
The Lady Bears will take on the seventh-seeded California Golden Bears in second-round action and if victorious will meet advance to the tournament's Sweet 16 for the sixth straight year and ninth time overall.
The seventh-seeded California Golden Bears, 22-9 overall, advanced to the second round with a 64-63 victory over 10th-seeded Fordham. The Pac12 runner-up earned its 10th NCAA Tournament appearance and third straight under head coach Lindsay Gottlieb and was a 2013 NCAA Championship Final Four team.
- National Player of the Year Candidate Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 28.5 ppg, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.5 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals. She is shooting .448 from the floor, .408 from 3-point range and .803 from the free throw line.
- Sims, with 622 career assists and 253 treys, ranks No. 1 in both categories on Baylor's all-time list.
- Sims' 93 made treys this season breaks Emily Niemann's BU single-season record of 75 (2003-04).
- Sims has scored a Big 12 record 969 points as a senior which ranks No. 4 on BU's single-season list. Her season average (28.5 ppg) is well ahead of both the BU (24.6 ppg, Suzie Snider Eppers, 1976-77) and Big 12 (26.7 ppg, OSU's Andrea Riley, 2010) season marks. The NCAA Division I women's single-season record is 1,062 points by Missouri State's Jackie Stiles in 2001 while the Big 12 mark of 929 was set by Baylor's Brittney Griner over 40 games in 2011-12.
- National Freshman of the Year candidate Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 15.1 points per game and ranks No. 3 nationally and leads the Big 12 Conference in field goal shooting at 61.4 (196-319) percent. She is leading the league in rebounding at 9.0 per contest, including 3.9 offensive boards per game. Against ranked opponents this season, Davis is averaging 15.4 ppg and 12.4 rpg and shooting 56.4 percent from the field.
- Niya Johnson, a 5-7 guard, ranks No. 1 nationally in assist/turnover ratio at 4.0 per contest, dishing out 220 assists with only 55 turnovers, and is No. 12 nationally in assists per game (6.5). Johnson has four double-digit assist games to her credit this season ( 14 vs. San Jose State, 11 vs. #5 Kentucky, 12 vs. #12 Oklahoma State and 10 vs. Iowa State).
- Johnson became the program's single-season leader, with 220 breaking Sheila Lambert's (2001-02) record of 216. In addition, Johnson has averaged 7.1 apg over the past nine games and 8.3 ppg over the past seven contests.
- Sune Agbuke, a 6-5 junior, has 99 career blocks to rank No. 10 on BU's career chart. With 65 blocks this season, Agbuke ranks No. 9 on Baylor's single-season block list.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 402-85 (.826) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- With its March 22 win over Western Kentucky, Baylor claimed its fourth straight 30-win season and ninth overall. Five of the program's 30-win campaigns have come under Kim Mulkey (2004-05, 33-3; 2010-11, 34-3; 2011-12, 40-0; 2012-13, 34-2; 2013-14, 30-4).
- The Lady Bears claimed their 17th, 25-win season overall and 11th straight and 12th overall under Kim Mulkey with their 96-89 victory over Oklahoma, Feb. 24.
- With its Feb. 9 win over 12th-ranked Oklahoma State, Baylor posted its 14th straight and 20th overall 20-win season.
- 14 of BU's 20, 20-win seasons have come under Kim Mulkey. She has guided the Lady Bears to at least 20 wins every season since her arrival on campus.
40 Times Four...
- Odyssey Sims has scored 40 or more points four times this season, former Lady Bear standout Brittney Griner recorded five 40-point efforts in her career.
- Sims scored 40-plus on the road three times (47 vs. Kentucky, 40 at Kansas State, 48 at West Virginia) and poured in 44 vs. Texas in the Ferrell Center, Feb. 1.
- Nina Davis, an undersized post player at 5-11, has recorded 12 double-doubles as a rookie. She leads the Big 12 in rebounding (9.0 rpg) and ranks No. 1 among the league's freshmen in scoring with 15.1 ppg.
- 43.6 percent (133-305) of Davis' rebounds are off the offensive glass. She averages 3.9 offensive rebounds a game.
- Davis has recorded double-digit scoring in 29 of Baylor's 34 contests and leads the league and ranks No. 3 nationally in field goal percentage, hitting 61.4 percent of her shots.
- Davis has hauled down a career-high 17 rebounds on three occasions this season; vs. top-ranked UConn, at No. 8 Oklahoma State and vs. Texas.
- Davis has been named Big 12 Freshman of the Week seven times this season.
- Against ranked opponents this season, Davis is averaging 15.4 ppg and 12.4 rpg and is shooting 56.4 percent from the field.
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 28.5 points per game, which ranks No. 2 nationally, as well as 4.5 assists, 4.5 rebounds and 1.9 steals.
- On the boards, freshman forward/post Nina Davis leads the team with 9.0 rpg while junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) follows with 7.6 and outing.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 12 nationally and No. 1 in the Big 12, averaging 6.5 assists an outing while Sims follows with 4.5 a game. Johnson leads the nation in assist/turnover ratio at 4.0.
- Johnson became the program's single-season assist leader, she now has 220 while Sheila Lambert (2001-02) held the record at 216 in 33 games. In addition, Johnson has averaged 7.1 apg over the past nine games and 8.3 ppg over the past seven contests.
California Golden Bears...
- Located in Berkeley, Calif., the seventh-seeded California Golden Bears, 22-9 overall, advanced to the second round with a 64-63 victory over 10th-seeded Fordham. The Pac12 runner-up earned its 10th NCAA Tournament appearance and third straight under head coach Lindsay Gottlieb and was a 2013 NCAA Championship Final Four team.
- Three Bears are averaging double-digit scoring on the season. Cal is led by junior forward Reshanda Gray's 17.3 points and 8.9 rebounds a game while junior guard Brittany Boyd averages 17.7 points per game. Senior guard Afure Jembrigbe scores 11.9 a contest and Gennifer Brandon, a senior forward, comes off the bench to average 8.2 rebounds an outing.
- The Bears are coached by sixth-year head coach Lindsay Gottlieb, a 1999 Brown graduate. Gottlieb is 79-23 (.775) in her three seasons along the Cal sideline and 135-62 (.670) in six seasons as a head coach (three at UC Santa Barbara).
- This will be the fifth meeting between the two schools, Baylor holds a 3-1 lead.
- Baylor holds a 1-0 series lead in games played in Waco. In that meeting 13th-ranked Baylor defeated 12th-ranked Cal, 69-56.
- Kim Mulkey is 3-0 vs. Cal.