| Baylor vs.  Florida State
March 26, 2013 | 8:30 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (9,844)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets | Gameday Central: BU | Waco|
2013 NCAA Women's Basketball Championship
Oklahoma City Regional
First Round - March 24 (Sunday)
Ferrell Center - Waco, Texas
No. 8 Florida State def. No. 9 Princeton - 60-44
No. 1 Baylor def. No. 16 Prairie View A&M - 82-40
Second Round - March 26 (Tuesday)
Florida State (23-9) vs. Baylor (33-1) - ESPN2/ESPN3 - 8:30 p.m.
Most of the second round games will be televised on ESPN2 in whip-around format with home market protection. ESPN3 and ESPN FULL COURT, the pay-per-view package, will offer complete games as a supplement to ESPN2's coverage. However, the Baylor-Florida State game has been designated by ESPN as the primary game during that time slot.
Baylor in the NCAA Tournament...
Baylor is competing in its 10th straight and 12th all-time NCAA Tournament, as all appearances have come since head coach Kim Mulkey assumed the program's helm. BU is 29-9 (.763) in NCAA Tournament games, including 11-1 in first round games, 7-3 in second round games, 4-3 in the Sweet 16, 3-1 in the Elite Eight, 2-1 in the national semifinals and 2-0 in championship games. BU has won its first-round game in each of its last 11 NCAA trips, and is 4-1 all-time is NCAA games played on its home court.
Lady Bear Seeds...
After earning three straight No. 1 seeds and the program's second consecutive overall top seed, it marks the 11th time in 12 trips to the NCAA Tournament that the Lady Bears have been a top five seed. Baylor was also a No. 1 seed in 2011 and 2012, a No. 2 seed twice (2002, `05), a No. 3 seed three times (2006, `08, `09), a No. 4 seed twice (2004, `10) and a No. 5 in 2007.
No. 1/1 Baylor Continues Play in NCAA Championship vs. Florida State...
The top-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, NCAA Division I's defending national champion and 33-1 on the season, enter the NCAA Championship for the second straight year as the tournament's overall No. 1 seed.
Baylor advances to the NCAA Championship second round for the 11th time in 12 tries, as its lone first-round loss came in 2001, Baylor's first-ever NCAA Championship contest.
- Over the past six games, Baylor is shooting .579 from the floor, .381 from 3-point range and .765 from the free throw line.
- Baylor seeks to become just the fourth team to win back-to-back NCAA titles; joining Southern California, Tennessee (twice) and Connecticut (twice) in accomplishing the rare feat. Louisiana Tech won the final AIAW crown in 1981 and the first NCAA title in 1982 with Kim Mulkey as the Lady Techster's starting point guard.
- Baylor's speed is apparent on offense as it has outscored its opponent 232-76 in fast break points, 136-57 in Big 12 play.
- Points in the paint - Baylor 1,645 (48.4 ppg)/Opponent 608 (17.9 ppg); Big 12 play - BU 873 (48.5 ppg)/Opponent 306 (17.0 ppg).
- The Lady Bears' school-record 56-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally after UConn snapped Stanford's string of 82 straight wins on Dec. 29, 2012.
- Baylor owns the nation's longest win streak in 2012-13 with 31 straight victories.
- In head coach Kim Mulkey's 13 seasons, Baylor is 99-58 (.631) against ranked opponents. Since a 69-55 loss to No. 15 Texas during the 2004-05 season, Baylor is 80-33 (.708) versus ranked opponents, including 13-0 last season and 11-1 in 2012-13.
- Baylor is 107-4 (.964) over the past three seasons, 34-3 in 2010-11, 40-0 last season and 33-1 in 2012-13.
- 96 of Baylor's 107 wins over the last three seasons have been by 10 or more points, and only five times has its winning margin been five or fewer points.
- BU is 73-1 over the past two seasons.
- 2012-13 National Player of the Year favorite and Big 12 Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with a league-leading 23.9 points and 9.0 boards per game. Griner currently has 3,236 career points, 1,273 career rebounds, and NCAA records of 742 blocks and 15 dunks to her credit. Griner recently became the Big 12's all-time scoring leader and the NCAA career block record holder (742), men or women. She already owns the NCAA record for career dunks (15) and ranks No. 2 on the NCAA's career scoring list.
- Junior point guard and All-American candidate Odyssey Sims, who averages 12.5 points an outing, also dishes out 5.8 assists per game. Sims shoots .476 from the field, including .338 from 3-point range. Sims ranks No. 2 nationally in assist/turnover ratio (2.8).
Last Six Games...
- Over the last six games, Baylor is shooting .579 from the floor, .381 from 3-point range and .765 from the free throw line.
Going into the last six games., BU was shooting .504 from the floor, .354 from 3-point range and .647 from the free throw line.
- Brittney Griner is averaging 31.8 points, 9.5 rebounds and is shooting .688 (77-112) from the floor.
- Destiny Williams is shooting .700 (28-40) from the floor, .750 (9-12) from the charity stripe and averaging 10.8 ppg.
- Odyssey Sims' shooting percentages are elevated as well, as she's shooting .595 (25-42) from the floor, .429 (6-14) from 3-point range and .909 (20-22) from the free throw line.
- The trio is a combined 130-194 (.670) from the floor and 66-81 (.815) from the charity stripe over the last six games.
Griner Getting Closer to NCAA Scoring Mark...
- Brittney Griner is inching closer to the NCAA Division I women's scoring record of 3,393 points held by Jackie Stiles (Missouri State, 1997-01).
- Griner, with 3,236 career points, needs 158 points in her remaining games to attain the record. If Baylor makes it to the NCAA Championship title game, Griner would have to average 31.6 points per game over the remaining five games to set the mark.
Baylor NCAA Championship Records...
- Brittney Griner owns three NCAA Championship records:
Blocks in a game - 14 vs. Georgetown, March 22, 2010 (Berkeley, Calif.)
Blocks in a series - 40 in 2010 (5 games)
Career blocks - 99 in 16 games
- Baylor owns the single-game record for team blocks with 16 vs. Georgetown, March 22, 2010.
- A record to keep an eye on - Griner has scored 356 points in NCAA Championship play (16 games), the record is 479 points by Chamique Holdsclaw (Tennessee, 1996-99, 22 games), UConn's Maya Moore (2008-11) follows with 476. Griner currently ranks No. 7 on the NCAA Championship career scoring chart.
Florida State Seminoles...
- Located in Tallahassee, Fla., the Florida State Seminoles bring their 23-9 season record to the Ferrell Center and the NCAA Championship second round when they face the Lady Bears on Tuesday night. The eighth-seeded Seminoles enter the contest after posting a win (60-44) over Princeton to advance to the NCAA Championship second round.
- Florida State is making its 12th NCAA Tournament appearance and ninth under 16th-year head coach Sue Semrau. The Seminoles, from the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC), earned an at-large selection to the tournament.
- Senior Leonor Rodriguez, a 5-11 guard , leads a quartet or Seminoles in double-digit scoring with 15.0 points per game. Senior guard Alex Deluzio averages 13.9 points a contest, Chelsea Davis, a 6-2 senior forward, manages 13.0 points an outing and Natasha Howard, a 6-3 junior forward, scores 12.8 points and hauls down a team-leading 7.6 rebounds an outing. Chastity Clayton, a 6-0 senior forward and the ACC's Sixth Player of the Year, comes off the bench to score 9.7 points a contest.
- The Seminoles are coached by 16th-year head coach Sue Semrau, a 1985 UC-San Diego graduate. Semrau is 295-200 (.596) in her 16 seasons as Florida State's head coach.