|#7/4 Baylor vs. #8/9 Tennessee
Sunday, Nov. 15, 2009 | 4:02 p.m. CST
Knoxville, Tenn. | Thompson Boling Arena (21,678)
|Listen | Gametracker | Game Notes | MJ's Musings Blog | Gameday Central|
GAME CENTER: GAME 1
Date: Sun., Nov. 15, 2009
Tip-Off: 4:02 p.m. CST
Location: Knoxville, Tenn.
Arena: Thompson Boling Arena (21,678)
Talent: Dave O'Brien (pxp), Carolyn Peck (color), Rebecca Lobo (reporter)
Radio: Baylor ISP Sports Network ESPN/KRZI 1660 AM (Waco)
Talent: Rick May (pxp), Lori Fogleman (color)
Live Stats: www.BaylorBears.com
Audio Web Stream: www.BaylorBears.com
• Baylor opens on the road for the fifth time in head coach Kim Mulkey's 10 seasons.
• The Lady Bears are 28-7 all-time in season openers, 8-1 under head coach Kim Mulkey.
• At No. 7, Baylor is ranked among the top 10 in the AP Top 25 preseason poll for the third time in program history.
• Baylor is 0-1 versus the Tennessee Lady Vols after a 71-69 loss in the 2004 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 in Norman, Okla.
• The Lady Bears are making their third State Farm Tip-Off Classic (2004, 2005, 2009) appearance.
§ For the 17th consecutive season, the State Farm Tip-Off Classic will commence ESPN's women's basketball coverage.
• In nine seasons under head coach Kim Mulkey, Baylor is 237-66 (.782), which ranks her No. 4 nationally in winning percentage. In addition, the Lady Bear program ranks No. 6 among the NCAA Division I's winningest teams over that span.
• Two staffs with two or more Women's Basketball Hall of Fame coaches face off in the upcoming contest, Kim Mulkey and Leon Barmore sit on Baylor's bench while Pat Summitt, Holly Warlick and Daedra Charles-Furlow roam the Lady Vol sidelines. In addition, Barmore and Summitt have been enshrined in the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame.
• Both teams sport very young rosters, the Lady Bears have eight underclassmen while the Lady Vols list 10 freshmen and sophomores.
• BU freshman post Brittney Griner seeks to become just the seventh female to dunk in a regular-season NCAA contest. She is also a defensive threat as a shot blocker with her 88" wing span.
• This contest marks the first of a program-record 10 regular-season national television appearances and the first of five ESPN family of network telecasts for the Lady Bears.
• Tennessee head coach Pat Summitt was head coach of the 1984 Olympic women's basketball team, Kim Mulkey was a player on the team which won gold medal in Los Angeles.
Baylor is 28-7 all-time in season openers, head coach Kim Mulkey is 8-1 in her nine season-opening games.
The game versus Tennessee marks Baylor's fifth road season opener under Mulkey, her Lady Bears are 3-1 when opening the season on the road. BU's lone loss came in 2004 when it dropped a 71-70 contest to third-ranked LSU in the State Farm Tip-Off Classic in Austin, Texas.
STATE FARM TIP-OFF CLASSICS
Baylor is making its third State Farm Tip-Off Classic appearance and claims a 1-1 record in the event.
In 2004 the No. 8 Lady Bears lost to third-ranked LSU (71-70) in Austin, Texas. Baylor trailed by 19 points (43-24) at halftime but mounted a furious comeback that fell one point short. Baylor evened the score later in the NCAA Championship national semifinal when it trailed the second-ranked Tigers by as much as 15 in the first half then went on to claim a 68-57 victory. Baylor went on to claim the NCAA title, downing Michigan State, 84-62, in the final.
2005 marked Baylor's first State Farm Tip-Off Classic victory when the sixth-ranked Lady Bears downed eighth-ranked Georgia, 84-72, in Lubbock, Texas.
The eighth-ranked Tennessee Lady Volunteers enter the 2009-10 season after posting a 22-11 mark in 2008-09. With a freshman laden team, the Lady Vols ended the season ranked No. 18 and were eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the first round for the first time in program history.
The 2009-10 Lady Vols return 10 letterwinners, including four starters, and welcome three newcomers to the program.
The Lady Vols are coached by Pat Summitt who is entering her 36th season on the Tennessee sideline. A member of both the Naismith and the Women's Basketball Halls of Fame, Summitt sports a 1,005-193 career record, all at Tennessee.
Tennessee posted two exhibition victories, a 124-34 triumph over Carson-Newman and a 79-46 win over Delta State. Against Delta State 6-6 center Kelley Cain led all scorers and rebounders with 20 points and 20 boards, while freshman Taber Spani, a 6-1 guard, also recorded a double-double with 14 points and 10 rebounds. Against Carson-Newman, six Lady Vols tallied 12 or more points. Sophomore forward Glory Johnson recorded the game's lone double-double with 22 points and 10 boards.
Tennessee holds a 1-0 series lead over Baylor. The only meeting between the two teams came in the 2004 NCAA Tournament Sweet 16 in Norman, Okla., on ESPN2.
The Lady Vols' Tasha Butts hit two free throws after a foul with 0.2 seconds left to give top-seeded Tennessee a 71-69 victory over Baylor. Shyra Ely missed a fast-break layup as the clock ticked down and Butts was unable to tap in the putback. In the scramble for the loose ball, Baylor's Jessika Stratton collided with Butts and was called for a foul.
Officials huddled after the buzzer and reviewed the replay on a courtside television monitor to see if the foul came before time ran out. After a few moments, Butts went to the line and sank both shots.