|Baylor vs. Liberty
Nov. 23, 2012 | 7 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Hosts Liberty on Friday...
The defending national champion and third-ranked Baylor Lady Bears will host the Liberty Lady Flames on Friday, Nov. 23 at 7 p.m., in the Ferrell Center. Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 4-1 on the season after posting a 2-1 mark in the Rainbow Wahine Classic last week. The Lady Bears defeated Tennessee-Martin and Hawai’i and lost to then-fourth ranked Stanford, who moved into the top spot in both polls this week
The Liberty Lady Flames enter Friday’s game at 2-2 after a 70-55 loss at Texas A&M on Tuesday night in College Station. Devon Brown, a 5-10 senior guard/forward, led the Lady Flames in scoring with 23 points while Jasmine Gardner, a 6-2 junior forward/center, was the team’s top rebounder with six.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring with 20.2 points per game. She currently has 2,526 career points and 995 career rebounds.
- Senior forward/post Destiny Williams leads BU in rebounding at 7.2 per game and ranks No. 2 in scoring with 11.0 a contest.
- Junior point guard Odyssey Sims, currently sidelined with a hamstring injury, averages 10.7 point an outing.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden leads the squad in assists (20) and minutes played (27.4) while averaging 10.0 points and 4.8 rebounds a contest. In addition, she is shooting .545 from the floor including .364 from 3-point range.
Rainbow Wahine Classic All-Tournament Team...
- Baylor’s Brittney Griner and Jordan Madden were named to the Rainbow Wahine Classic’s All-Tournament Team.
- Griner averaged 16.7 points, 5.3 rebounds and shot 58.8 percent from the floor and 71.4 percent from the charity stripe.
- Madden scored 12.7 a contest while pulling down 4.3 rebounds and playing a team-high 28.7 minutes a game. She shot .565 from the floor, .444 from 3-point range and .800 from the free throw line.
Liberty Lady Flames...
- Located in Lynchburg, Va., the Liberty Lady Flames come to Waco after losing at Texas A&M (70-55) on Tuesday night. The Lady Flames now sport a 2-2 season record.
- Texas connection - Four players off the Flames’ squad hail from the state of Texas; freshman guard Ellee Rollins (Houston/Cy Falls HS), sophomore guard Reagan Miller (Sanger/Sanger HS), sophomore guard Emily Frazier (Magnolia/Home Schooled) and senior forward/center Tolu Omotola (Houston/Bellaire HS/TCU).
- The Lady Flames are led on the season by 5-10 guard/forward Devon Brown’s 16.0 points per game while Omotola follows with 9.3 points an outing. Jasmine Gardner, a 6-2 forward/center, is the squad’s top rebounder at 8.0 a contest while Brown follows closely with 6.8 a game.
- Liberty is coached by 14th-year head coach Carey Green (Coastal Carolina, 1979). Green owns a 312-104 career mark (.750) , all along the Liberty sideline.
Liberty- BU leads 1-0
Baylor vs. Liberty
Date Winner Score Site
11-26-10 Baylor 81-42 Waco
Home - 1-0; Away - 0-0; Neutral - 0-0
- When BU and Liberty met on Nov. 26, 2010, which resulted in an 81-42 Baylor win, Brittney Griner poured in 35 points while Odyssey Sims tallied 12 and Brooklyn Pope completed BU’s double-digit scoring with 10. Griner and Pope combined for 15 rebounds with nine and eight, respectively.
- No Liberty player score§d in double digits.