Dec. 3, 2013
|Baylor vs. San Jose State
Dec. 3, 2013 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch/Listen (Paid) | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 9/9 Baylor Hosts San José State...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears will host the San José State Spartans on Tuesday, Dec. 3. The contest will mark the Spartans' first visit to the Ferrell Center and just the third meeting between the two schools, Baylor leads the series 2-0.
The 6-0 Lady Bears put their nation's-best and school-record 63-game home win streak on the line Tuesday as they host San José State at 7 p.m.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead the team, scoring a Big 12-leading 27.3 points per game which ranks No. 3 nationally. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.3 rebounds a contest while dishing out 3.8 assists per game and is shooting 51.9 percent from the floor. With 492 career assists, Sims needs just two more dimes to become the program's all-time assist leader.
Freshman forward/post Nina Davis (5-11) is averaging 15.2 points and 6.5 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native is leading the nation and the Big 12 in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 78.3 (36-46) percent of her shots.
Sophomore post Kristina Higgins is the team's top rebounder with 7.5 an outing, she also scores 9.0 points a game. Davis and fellow freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) rank second on the team in rebounding with 6.5 a game each.
- With 492 career assists, Odyssey Sims needs just two more dimes to become the program's all-time assist leader.
- Angela Tisdale (2004-08) currently holds the record at 493.
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in nine NCAA statistical categories (through games of Nov. 24) and is No. 5 and above in six areas.
- Team Top 5 - No. 1 - Scoring margin (45.5), won-loss percentage (1.000); No. 2 - Scoring offense (96.5), assist/turnover ratio (1.94), 3-point field goal percentage defense (.165); No. 4 - Assists (22.0); No. 5 - Rebound margin (16.5).
- Individually, three Lady Bears rank among the top 40 in NCAA Division I statistics in four categories.
- Individual Top 20 - No. 1 - Field goal percentage (Nina Davis, .783); No. 3 - Points per game (Odyssey Sims, 27.3); No. 19 - Assist/turnover ratio (Odyssey Sims, 3.83); No 31 - Assists per game (Niya Johnson, 6.2); No. 39 - Assist/turnover ratio (Niya Johnson, 3.08)
- The Lady Bears' school-record 63-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally.
- Baylor's 40-game Big 12 Conference regular season win streak is the nation's longest active league win string.
- Baylor is off to a 6-0 start for just the 12th time in school history, eight of which have come under Kim Mulkey's guidance, and the last of which was in 2001-12.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 27.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.0 steals.
- Sims ranks No. 3 nationally in scoring and No. 19 in assist/turnover ratio (3.83).
- Sims, with 492 career assists, ranks No. 2 on Baylor's career list and needs only two to take over the top spot from Angela Tisdale (493; 2004-08).
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 15.2 points per game and leads the nation in field goal percentage at 78.3 (36-46) percent.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 378-81 (.824) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- National Player of the Year contender and Big 12 Preseason Player of the Year Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging 27.3 points, 4.3 rebounds, 3.8 assists and 2.0 steals.
- Including Sims' 27.3 ppg, four players are averaging 9.0 ppg or higher; Nina Davis (Fr., F/P) scores 15.2, Imani Wright (Fr., G) manages 9.2 and junior post Kristina Higgins scores 9.0 a contest.
- On the boards, Higgins is the team leader with 7.3 a contest while Davis and freshman post Khadijiah Cave each average 6.5 a game.
- Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor, averaging 6.2 assists an outing while Sims follows with 3.8 a game.
San José State Spartans...
- Located in San José, Calif., the San José State Spartans bring a 4-3 record into Tuesday's game. The Spartans posted wins over San Francisco State (100-78), Santa Clara (97-93), Evansville (90-84) and San Francisco (98-79) and suffered losses to UC Riverside (105-74), San Diego (88-60) and UC Davis (95-61). The Spartans are 1-1 on the road this season.
- San José State is led by a quartet of double-digit scorers. Junior guard Ta'Rea Cunnigan (5-9) leads the squad with 19.0 ppg while Nebraska transfer Rebecca Woodberry (5-10, Jr., G) follows with 14.7 an outing, Jasmine Smith , a 6-0 freshman forward, comes off the bench to average 13.0 ppg and Classye James, a 5-8 junior guard, averages 11.7 a contest. Riana Byrd, a 6-2 sophomore forward, is the team's top rebounder at 9.3 rpg and is followed by James' 9.1 a game.
- San José State is coached by first-year head coach Jamie Craighead (Oregon, 2002). Craighead came to San José State after spending the past four seasons at Sacramento State, where she was the winningest women's head basketball coach in the last 20 years.