|Baylor vs. Oral Roberts
Dec. 12, 2012 | 6 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: FSSW Plus
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Hosts Oral Roberts...
The defending national champion and third-ranked Baylor Lady Bears return home after two road games to host Oral Roberts University (ORU) on Wednesday, Dec. 12, at 6 p.m. (CT) in the Ferrell Center. The contest is the first game of a doubleheader with Baylor’s men who host Lamar at 8:30 p.m. Both games will be televised on FSN Southwest.
The contest features two of the nation’s top scoring student-athletes as Baylor’s Brittney Griner averages 21.4 points per game while Oral Roberts’ senior guard Kevi Luper manages 23.2 per contest.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 7-1 on the season after posting a 73-61 victory at fifth-ranked Notre Dame, and has won 81 of its last 85 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
The ORU Golden Eagles, who are first-year members of the Southland Conference, enter Wednesday’s game at 3-3 after a 96-34 win over Evangel. The Golden Eagles are under the guidance of first-year head coach Misti Cussen who spent 16 years as the program’s assistant coach before being elevated to the head position on April 27, 2012. ORU is led by Luper’s 23.2 points a contest. She is followed by Jaci Bigham, a 5-6 senior guard, who scores 10.3 a game while dishing out 7.5 assists a contest. Savanna Buck, 5-10 senior forward, is the team’s leading rebounder at 8.8 an outing.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring with 21.4 points per game. Griner produced her first double-double of the season with her 24-point/14-rebound performance in Baylor’s 73-61 victory at No. 5 Notre Dame. She currently has 2,596 career points and 1,022 career rebounds.
- Senior forward/post Destiny Williams leads BU in rebounding at 7.4 per game and averages 9.8 points a contest.
- Junior point guard Odyssey Sims, who had been sidelined for four games with a hamstring injury but returned to action vs. Notre Dame a week ago, averages 12.0 points an outing.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden leads the squad in assists (35), minutes played (27.3) and steals (16) while averaging 9.3 points and 4.1 rebounds a contest. In addition, she is shooting .556 from the floor.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, comes off the bench to average 10.1 points and 5.0 rebounds a contest.
Big 12 Player of the Week, Again...
- For the second straight week, Brittney Griner wins Big 12 Player of the Week honors.
- For her play at No. 5 Notre Dame, Griner earned her 21st weekly Big 12 weekly award, to set the women’s basketball all-time weekly awards record after tying it last week. The all-time women's basketball mark was formerly held by former Oklahoma player Courtney Paris (2006-09).
- Griner led all scorers and rebounders in No. 3 Baylor's 73-61 victory at No. 5 Notre Dame. The senior center produced her first double-double of the season with 24 points and 14 rebounds. She was 10-of-16 from the floor and a perfect 4-of-4 from the free throw line. Griner added three blocks and an assist in front of the sold-out crowd.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden is having her finest season yet, averaging 9.3 points a game while hauling down 4.1 rebounds a contest.
- Madden leads the team in minutes played (218/27.3), assists (35) and steals (16).
- She has scored in double-digits in five of eight games this season with a season-high 16 points vs. then-No. 4 Stanford.
Johnson Dishing it Out...
- Freshman point guard Niya Johnson dished out a career-high 11 assists at Rice on Nov. 27, 2012.
- With the 11 dimes, she became just the 10th Lady Bear to dish out 11 or more assists in a contest.
Pope Coming On...
- Baylor graduate Brooklyn Pope has proved impressive so far this season, averaging 10.1 points and 5.0 rebounds in just 14.6 minutes of action a game.
- Most impressive among her 2012-13 numbers are her shooting percentage from both the floor (.577) and free throw line (.600). The 6-2 forward/post shot 48.3 percent from the floor last season and just at 48.1 percent from the free throw line.
Oral Roberts Golden Eagles...
- Located in Tulsa, Okla., the Oral Roberts Golden Eagles, first-year members of the Southland Conference, bring their 3-3 record, 1-2 on the road, to the Ferrell Center on Wednesday.
- The Golden Eagles are led by 5-10 senior guard Kevi Luper’s 23.2 points a contest. She is followed by Jaci Bigham, a 5-6 senior guard, who scores 10.3 a game while dishing out 7.5 assists a contest. Savanna Buck, 5-10 senior forward, is the team’s leading rebounder at 8.8 an outing.
- Oral Roberts is coached by first-year head coach Misti Cussen (Southern Nazarene, 1993). Cussen owns a 3-3 (.500) career mark, she spent 16 years as the program’s assistant coach before being elevated to the head position on April 27, 2012.
- BU leads series 5-2.
- Wednesday’s contest marks the fourth time the Lady Bears have hosted ORU, BU leads the series 3-0 in games played in Waco.