Dec. 13, 2013
||Sunday, Dec. 15 | 2:00 p.m. CT
||Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
||Purchase Tickets Online
||Baylor Sports Network
||Rick May (pxp), Lori Fogleman (color)
|9/9 BAYLOR LADY BEARS
||Career: 379-82 (14th season)
||BU Record: 379-82 (14th season)
|NR/NR HOUSTON BAPTIST HUSKIES
||Career: 3-4 (1st season)
||HBU Record: 3-4 (1st season)
No. 9/9 Baylor Back Home for Houston Baptist...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 7-1 on the season, put their school-record 64-game home win streak on the line when the Houston Baptist Huskies visit the Ferrell Center on Sunday, Dec. 15 at 2 p.m.
The Huskies, members of the Southland Conference and under the direction of first-year head coach Donna Finnie, come to Waco with a 3-4 season record.
Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead the team in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 30.0 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.4 rebounds a contest while dishing out 5.3 assists per game and shooting 52.2 percent from the floor. With 511 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time assist leader.
Freshman forward/post Nina Davis (5-11) is averaging 15.8 points and 6.6 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native is ranked No. 2 in the nation in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 71.0 (49-69) percent of her shots.
Sophomore post Kristina Higgins is the team's top rebounder with 7.4 an outing, she also scores 8.5 points a game. Freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) ranks second on the team in rebounding with 6.3 an outing while junior post Sune Agbuke and Davis each manages 6.6 a contest.
Double Big 12 Honors...
- Baylor swept Big 12 "Of the Week" honors it was announced by the league on Monday. Odyssey Sims was named Big 12 Player of the Week and Nina Davis earned Big 12 Freshman of the Week honors.
- Both players have been honored by the league twice this season.
- Sims averaged 38 points, 4.5 rebounds and 9.5 assists in Baylor's two games. She poured in a career-high 47 points in the Lady Bears' quadruple overtime loss to No. 5 Kentucky. Sims also added six assists, four rebounds and a steal. She was 17-of-33 from the floor and 12-of-15 from the free-throw line.
- Davis averaged 17.5 points and 7.0 rebounds in Baylor's two games. She turned in a double-double with 20 points and 11 rebounds against Kentucky in addition to four assists, three steals and a block. Against San Jose State, Davis tallied 15 points while shooting 6-for-10 from the floor and 3-of-5 from the free-throw line.
Upcoming Promotions, all Remaining December Games...
- The Lady Bears' school-record 64-game home win streak ranks No. 1 nationally.
- Baylor is 77-3 in December games under Kim Mulkey.
- Odyssey Sims, a 5-8 senior guard, is averaging a nation's-best 30.0 ppg as well as 5.3 assists, 4.4 rebounds and 2.3 steals.
- Sims, with 511 career assists, ranks No. 1 on Baylor's career list, breaking the record set by Angela Tisdale (493; 2004-08).
- Nina Davis, a 5-11 freshman forward/post, is averaging 15.8 points per game and ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage at 71.0 (49-69) percent.
- In her 14 seasons at the program's helm, Kim Mulkey has posted an impressive 379-82 (.822) record which ranks her No. 2 nationally in winning percentage among active coaches behind UConn's Geno Auriemma (.864).
- Redshirt senior Mariah Chandler graduated in May 2013, Makenzie Robertson will graduate in December 2013 and Odyssey Sims and Sune Agbuke are slated to walk across the Ferrell Center stage in May 2014.
- Through three-plus years, fourth-year players Odyssey Sims and Makenzie Robertson are 115-6 (.950) overall and 51-1 (.981) in regular season Big 12 games and are undefeated in the Ferrell Center. The duo has six Big 12 titles, three NCAA Tournament trips, an NCAA championship and two Final Four appearances to their credit.
- Baylor's quartet of freshmen are making their presence felt. They are producing 35.8 percent of the team's points, hauling down 33.74 percent of its rebounds and playing 35.3 percent of the minutes.
- The rookies are holding their own in shooting percentage as well, the group is shooting 46.4 percent (108-233) from the floor while the team is managing 46.8 percent.
- Nina Davis and Imani Wright are two of Baylor's top four scorers with 15.8 and 9.0 points per game, respectively.
- Khadijiah Cave (7.3 rpg) and Nina Davis (6.6 rpg) are two of the team's top three rebounders.
- Nina Davis leads the Big 12 Conference and ranks No. 2 nationally in field goal percentage (.710, 49-of-69).
Baylor's Record Win Streaks...
- Baylor has won a nation's-best and school-record 64 straight home contests, as its last home loss came on March 7, 2010, vs. Texas, 70-54.
- The Lady Bears have won a Big 12-record and nation's-best 40 consecutive regular season league contests.
- Baylor has won 49 straight Big 12 games overall, a continuing league record.
- Baylor has won 20 or more games in each of the last 13 seasons, an ongoing Big 12 record.
- BU has 10 straight seasons of 25-plus wins, and three consecutive 30-win campaigns.
- Baylor's quadruple overtime loss (133-130) vs. #5 Kentucky is deemed by many as an instant classic.
- The combined total of 263 points set an NCAA Division women's record for most points in an overtime game.
- Baylor's 130 points were the most points by a losing team in an overtime game and Kentucky's 133 points were the most in an overtime game.
- Seven Baylor players and three Kentucky players fouled out of the game.
- BU's Makenzie Robertson played a school-record 57 minutes.
Topping the Century Mark...
- Baylor has scored over 100 points in four games this season, that's only happened four other times.
- Baylor's 1977-78 squad tallied 11 100-point games while the 1976-77 team accomplished the feat 10 times. The 1975-76 team scored 100 or more points seven times and Mulkey's 2009-10 squad recorded four games of 100-plus points.
- Baylor is averaging a nation's-best 102.8 points per game this season and is out-scoring its opponents by 38.8 ppg.
Among the Big 12 Leaders...
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 30.0 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 7 (15.8 ppg).
- Nina Davis leads the Big 12 in field goal percentage at 71.0 percent while sophomore Kristina Higgins ranks No. 6 (57.8 percent) and Sims checks in at No. 14 (.522).
- Two underclassmen, Kristina Higgins and Khadijiah Cave, rank among the league's top 12 in rebounding. Higgins is No. 10 (7.4 rpg) while Cave is No. 11 at 7.3 a contest.
- Khadijiah Cave (No. 2, 4.1), Nina Davis (No. 4, 3.5) and Kristina Higgins (No. 9, 2.8) rank among the Big 12's top 10 in offensive rebounds.
- Niya Johnson (3.4) and Odyssey Sims (2.8) and are No. 2 and No. 3, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (7.8 apg) and Sims is No. 6 with 5.3 a contest.
Houston Baptist Huskies...
- Located in Houston, the Houston Baptist Huskies bring a 3-4 record into Sunday afternoon's game. The Huskies, members of the Southland Conference, have posted wins over UT-Arlington (72-60), Southern Utah (88-77) and South Alabama (54-51) while suffering road losses to Texas Southern (82-70), Sam Houston State (85-68), Jackson State (74-50) and a home defeat to UT-Pan American (76-74).
- The Huskies are 1-3 on the road this season.
- Houston Baptist is led by a trio of double-digit scorers. Junior forward Shanice Steenholdt (6-0) leads the squad in both scoring and rebounding with 16.1 points and 7.6 rebounds while Erin McGarrachan (6-0, Fr., F) follows with 13.0 points and 6.7 rebounds an outing. Rachel Arthur, a 5-7 sophomore guard, completes the Huskies' double-digit scoring with 11.0 ppg.
- Houston Baptist is coached by first-year head coach Donna Finnie (Heriot Watt University, Scotland).