Dec. 17, 2013
|Baylor vs. Ole Miss
Dec. 18, 2013 | 6:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
TV: FSSW Plus
|Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
No. 9/9 Baylor Hosts Ole Miss in Doubleheader...
The ninth-ranked Baylor Lady Bears, 8-1 on the season, put their school-record 65-game home win streak on the line when the Ole Miss Rebels visit the Ferrell Center on Wednesday, Dec. 18 at 6 p.m. The contest, a double-header with Baylor's men and Northwestern State (8:30 p.m.), will be broadcast by Fox Sports Southwest Plus, John Morris will call the action while Jim Haller will provide color commentary.
The Rebels, members of the SEC and under the direction of first-year head coach Matt Insell, come to Waco with an 8-4 season record and riding a seven-game win streak. Senior guard Odyssey Sims continues to lead Baylor in scoring at a nation's-best and Big 12-leading 29.4 points per game. The Irving, Texas, native is averaging 4.1 rebounds a contest while dishing out 5.4 assists per game and shooting 52.6 percent from the floor. With 518 career assists, Sims is the program's all-time assist leader.
Freshman Nina Davis (5-11, forward/post) is averaging 15.8 points and 6.4 rebounds a game. The Memphis, Tenn., native is ranked No. 1 in the nation in field goal percentage, hitting an impressive 73.7 (56-76) percent of her shots.
Sophomore Kristina Higgins (6-5 post) freshman Khadijiah Cave (6-2 post) and junior post Sune Agbuke (6-4) are the team's top rebounders with 7.4 an outing each. Sophomore guard Niya Johnson is the team's top distributor and ranks No. 7 nationally and No. 2 in the Big 12, averaging 7.6 assists an outing while Sims follows with 5.4 a game.
Ole Miss is led by a trio of double-digit scorers. Senior point guard Valencia McFarland (5-4) leads the squad in scoring with 15.7 points a game while Tia Faleru (6-1, Fr., F) follows with 15.6 points and a team-high 9.9 rebounds an outing. Diara Moore, a 5-7 senior guard, completes the Rebels' double-digit scoring with 11.1 ppg.
Upcoming Promotions, all Remaining December Games...
- Family Four Pack- $40, includes four tickets, four hot dogs and four drinks; Purchase here: http://www.baylorbears.com/tickets/basketball-dec-13.html?hq_e=el&hq_m=584755&hq_l=4&hq_v=8680e65935
- Ole Miss: *First National Bank McGregor/South Bosque Care Bear Drive - bring a new stuffed toy bear and receive a $5 ticket
- McNeese State - Dec. 28: *Postgame autograph session
Topping the Century Mark...
- Baylor has scored over 100 points in five games this season, that's only happened four other times.
- Baylor's five 100-point games this season, including three straight, have set a school record in NCAA competition.
- Baylor's 1977-78 squad tallied 11 100-point games while the 1976-77 team accomplished the feat 10 times. The 1975-76 team scored 100 or more points seven times and Mulkey's 2009-10 squad recorded four games of 100-plus points.
- Baylor is averaging a nation's-best 102.4 points per game this season and is out-scoring its opponents by 39.2 ppg.
NCAA Division I Statistics...
- As a team, Baylor ranks among the top 25 in nine NCAA statistical categories (through games of Dec. 15).
- Individually, three Lady Bears rank among the top 50 in NCAA Division I statistics in four categories: 1. Points per game - Odyssey Sims, 29.4
- Odyssey Sims leads the Big 12 in scoring at 29.4 ppg while freshman Nina Davis ranks No. 8 (15.8 ppg).
- Nina Davis leads the nation and Big 12 in field goal percentage at 73.7 percent while sophomore Kristina Higgins ranks No. 8 (55.1 percent) and Sims checks in at No. 13 (.526).
- All four of Baylor's posts rank among the league's top 15 in rebounding. Kristina Higgins, Khadijiah Cave and Sune Agbuke rank at No. 10 with 7.4 rpg each while Nina Davis sits at No. 15 with 6.4 a contest.
- Khadijiah Cave (No. 1, 4.0), Nina Davis (No. 5, 3.3), Sune Agbuke (No. 9, 2.8) and Kristina Higgins (No. 11, 2.7) rank among the Big 12's top offensive rebounders.
- Odyssey Sims (3.3) and Niya Johnson (3.2) are No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, in assist/turnover ratio. In addition, Johnson is No. 2 in the league in assists (7.6 apg) and Sims is No. 5 with 5.4 a contest.
1. Scoring offense - 102.4
1. Assists - 23.9
1. Rebound margin - 17.1
2. Scoring margin - 39.2
3. Assist/turnover ratio - 1.79
7. Turnover margin - 9.0
18. Field goal percentage - .472
20. Blocked shots - 5.4
22. Field goal percentage defense - 33.6
1. Field goal percentage - Nina Davis, .737
7. Assists per game - Niya Johnson, 7.6
15. Assist/turnover ratio - Odyssey Sims, 3.27
16. Assist/turnover ratio - Niya Johnson, 3.24
Among the Big 12 Leaders...