|Baylor vs. Southeastern Louisiana
Dec. 29, 2012 | 7:00 p.m. CT
Waco, Texas | Ferrell Center (10,284)
|Watch (Paid) | Listen | Gametracker | Notes | Tickets|
Baylor Closes Out 2012 Hosting Southeastern Louisiana...
The defending national champion and third-ranked Baylor Lady Bears (9-1) close out 2012 on Saturday, Dec. 29, at 7:00 p.m. (CT) in the Ferrell Center when, after returning from a 10-day holiday break, Baylor hosts Southeastern Louisiana.
Baylor, led by 2012 National Coach of the Year Kim Mulkey, is 9-1 on the season after posting a 76-53 win over 10th-ranked Tennessee, and has won 83 of its last 87 games since the start of the 2010-11 season.
The Southeastern Louisiana Lady Lions, under the direction of 11th-year head coach Lori Davis Jones, are 7-3 on the season after recording a 59-54 road victory over Alcorn State. The Lady Lions are led by junior forward Aja Gibson’s 11.8 points per contest while Brandi Simmons, a senior forward, averages a double-double with 10.9 points and 10.8 rebounds a game.
- Preseason National Player of the Year Brittney Griner, a 6-8 senior post, leads BU in scoring and rebounding with 21.0 points and 7.8 boards per game. Griner produced her third straight double-double with her 17-point/12-rebound performance in Baylor’s victory over Tennessee. She currently has 2,635 career points, 1,044 career rebounds and 624 blocks.
- Junior point guard Odyssey Sims averages 13.8 points an outing while shooting .509 from the floor. She dished out a team-leading 5.7 assists per game and is a perfect 23-of-23 from the free throw line.
- Senior guard Jordan Madden leads the squad in assists (42), minutes played (271) and steals (19) while averaging 9.2 points and 4.5 rebounds a contest. In addition, she is shooting .554 from the floor.
- Brooklyn Pope, enjoying her finest season as a Lady Bear, averages 11.1 points and 6.0 rebounds a contest, including 14.8 ppg over the last five contests. Pope hauled down a career-high 16 rebounds vs. 10th-ranked Tennessee, producing her first double-double of the season (11 pts/16 reb).
- Southwest Dairy Farmers drawstring bags will be given away to the first 3,000 fans.
- McDonald's Family 4-Pack for $40: Includes 4 tickets, 4 hot dogs, 4 drinks and 2 Happy Meal vouchers.
- All remaining tickets just $5.
To find out more about these promotions, please visit: http://baylortix.com/wbb13/
- The Lady Bears’ 45-game home win streak ranks No. 2 nationally to Stanford’s string of 82 straight wins.
- Brittney Griner has scored in double figures in 90 straight games and in 120 of 122 career games.
- Griner has blocked at least one shot in 119 of her 122-game career, including 59 straight outings. The three games in which she did not block a shot all came in her sophomore season (vs. FIU, vs. Clemson, vs. Kansas State).
As the Big 12 Begins its 17th Year, Did You Know?
- Baylor has won the most regular season Big 12 games and owns the league’s best regular season winning percentage:
Baylor - 169-89, .655 winning percentage
Oklahoma - 168-90, .651 winning percentage
- Baylor has won the most Big 12 Tournament games and owns the league’s best winning percentage:
Baylor - 23-12 (.657)
Oklahoma - 22-12 (.647)
- Baylor has won a Big 12 Conference record 23 straight regular season games.
- Baylor is one of three teams to post a perfect league record: Baylor - 18-0 (2012); Nebraska - 16-0 (2010); Oklahoma - 16-0 (2006).
- Baylor and Oklahoma share the lead in Big 12 Tournament championships with four each.
Baylor in Regular Season, Non-Conference Games...
- In Coach Mulkey’s 13 seasons at Baylor, the Lady Bears are 150-10 (.938) in regular season, non-conference games. Eight of the 10 losses have come against ranked opponents.
- With 624 career blocks, Griner needs 39 to claim the NCAA block record of 663, set by St. Mary’s (CA) Louella Tomlinson (2006-11).
- Griner has scored 2,635 career points and ranks No. 2 on BU’s career scoring chart.
- Kimetria Hayden has scored 912 career points and needs just 88 to become the 30th Lady Bear to achieve the milestone.
Southeastern Louisiana Lady Lions...
- Located in Hammond, La., the Southeastern Louisiana Lady Lions, members of the Southland Conference, bring their 7-3 record to the Ferrell Center on Saturday.
- The Lady Lions, 7-3 on the season, are led by junior forward Aja Gibson’s 11.8 points per contest while Brandi Simmons, a senior forward, averages a double-double with 10.9 points and 10.8 rebounds a game.
- Southeastern Louisiana is coached by 18th-year head coach Lori Davis Jones (Southeastern Louisiana , 1992). Jones owns a 311-260 career mark (.545) and is 132-163 (.448) in 11 seasons along the Southeastern Louisiana sideline.
- BU leads series 4-0, including a 3-0 mark under head coach Kim Mulkey.
- Saturday’s contest marks the third time the Lady Bears have hosted Southeastern Louisiana, BU leads the series 2-0 in games played in Waco.