Sept. 28, 2013
Baylor Results at Willis Invitational
WACO, Texas - The No. 7-ranked Baylor equestrian team opened the season with three victories, and the Bears won their sixth-consecutive Willis Invitational Friday and Saturday at the Willis Family Equestrian Center. Baylor took victories over New Mexico State, No. 10-ranked Tennessee-Martin and No. 8-ranked South Dakota State to begin the season at 3-0.
Friday, the Bears took a 12-4 win over the Aggies sweeping the flat and fences events and winning horsemanship. NMSU managed a 3-1 advantage in reining but ultimately fell to the Bears.
Baylor defeated UT-Martin 11-5 beginning with events Friday and concluding Saturday. The Bears split the flat and horsemanship events while taking a 5-3 win in fences and a 6-2 win in reining over the Skyhawks.
The Bears closed the Willis Invitational with a 12-4 win over the Jackrabbits. Baylor swept flat and fences over SDSU and split horsemanship and reining for its third-straight victory to start the 2013-14 season.
- Alicia Gasser won two Most Outstanding Player awards in flats over the weekend in wins over SDSU and NMSU
- Bryn Lindley was the MOP for horsemanship in Baylor's wins over both SDSU and NMSU
- Jennifer Mitchell won MOP for the Bears in fences against NMSU
- Sam Schaefer was the MOP for fences against UT-Martin
- Rachel Nankervis took MOP honors against the Skyhawks in horsemanship
- Shelbey Jackson was the MOP in the reining event against UT-Martin
- Ashley Ann McGehee was the MOP in fences against South Dakota State
STAT OF THE GAME I
9 - In 12 total events over three matches, Baylor had 9 of the 12 Most Outstanding Player honors
The Bears head to Fort Worth Saturday for their first Big 12 meet against TCU. The Horned Frogs are ranked ninth by the NCEA coming into the 2013-14 season.