Feb. 23, 2014
FRESNO, Calif. – The No. 2 Baylor equestrian team split decisions on the west coast this weekend, falling to Fresno State 8-7 Friday, but BU rebounded to take down SMU, 13-3 Saturday at the Fresno State Invitational.
Friday in BU’s meet with Fresno State, the Bears tied 2-2 in fences, flat and horseman ship to knot the score at six, however, the Bulldogs sealed the victory in reining with a 2-1 score.
Saturday the Bears tied with SMU in flat once again at 2-2, but Baylor pulled ahead in flat with a score of 4-0 and never looked back taking a 3-1 win in horsemanship and sweeping reining 4-0. Baylor took three out of four MOP awards in the meet with SMU.
- Paige Parker earned MOP honors and a point for the Bears in Fences vs Fresno State scoring an 84 to beat FSU’s Sarah Schorender (77).
- Baylor’s Bryn Lindley won MOP honors in horsemanship vs. Fresno scoring a 72 while FSU’s Taylor Brown scored a 63.5.
- Samantha Schaefer’s 88 earned her MOP honors in fences defeating SMU’s Emma Roberts (80).
- Schaefer earned MOP honors again in flat with a score of 83 edging the Mustangs’ Alex Buttworth (82).
- Jessica Leach’s 68.5 earned her the point and MOP honors in reining defeating SMU’s Joclyn White (67.5).
Next week, Baylor will head to Manhattan Kan. to take on the No. 4 Kansas State Wildcats. The Wildcats are coming off a 13-6 loss to No. 6 Oklahoma State. The meet will take place on Friday at Timbercreek Stables.