PALOS VERDES, Calif. - Baylor women's golf climbed three spots into ninth place after shooting 9-over-par 293 in Monday's second round of the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge at Palos Verdes Golf Club.
BU is at 25-over-par 593 entering Tuesday's final round, just six shots back of the top five. Baylor (+25) is in front of eight top-50 ranked teams, including No. 10 Texas (+26), No. 25 Washington (+28), No. 28 Tennessee (+30), No. 11 USC (+33), No. 8 Oklahoma State (+39), No. 23 Wake Forest (+43), No. 33 UNLV (+47) and No. 49 San Diego State (+47), as well as Ohio State (+37).
Five of the eight teams ahead of the Bears are ranked in the nation's top six. Baylor trails No. 3 Alabama (+8), No. 1 UCLA (+8), No. 39 Arizona (+9), No. 6 Arizona State (+15), No. 5 Stanford (+19), No. 18 Florida (+21), No. 2 Duke (+21) and No. 12 Northwestern (+24).
Senior Amy Lee shot 3-under 68 on Monday, tying the lowest score by any golfer in the 96-player field over the first two rounds. Lee sits in a tie for 23rd place at 5-over 147 through 36 holes. Freshman Diane Baillieux carded 2-over 73 for a second consecutive day and is tied for 17th place at 4-over 146. Freshman Gurleen Kaur and sophomore Fiona Liddell rounded out the Baylor scorecard with matching rounds of 5-over 76. Kaur is tied for 14th place at 3-over 145 and Liddell is tied for 64th at 13-over 155.
Junior Maria Vesga shot 8-over 79 to move into a tie for 91st place at 20-over 162, and senior Giovana Maymon, who is playing as an individual, shot 7-over 78 and is tied for 83rd place at 17-over 159.
- Amy Lee's 3-under 68 tied the lowest round by anyone in the 96-player field over the first two days at Palos Verdes.
- Baylor ranks fifth in the 18-team field in par-4 scoring at 28-over 4.25, tied for 12th in par-5 scoring at 2-over 5.07 and tied for 13th in par-3 scoring at 15-over 3.38.
- Baylor is tied for seventh with 21 birdies over two rounds and tied for sixth with 105 pars.
- Gurleen Kaur ranks tied for 10th in par-4 scoring at 2-over 4.09 and tied for 14th in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.67.
- Lee is tied for 15th in par-4 scoring at 3-over 4.14.
- Diane Baillieux is tied for 14th in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.67 and tied for 15th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.13.
- Fiona Liddell is tied for 15th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.13.
STAT OF THE DAY
5 - Amy Lee made five birdies in the second round. She began on No. 10 and took the turn at 3-under after birdies on Nos. 10, 14 and 16, and after giving back shots with bogeys on Nos. 3 and 7, she finished with consecutive birdies on Nos. 8 and 9 to post a 3-under 69.
Baylor is paired with Texas, Washington and Tennessee for Tuesday's final round 10:30 a.m. CT shotgun start. Kaur will begin on No. 8, Baillieux will start on No. 9, Lee will tee off from No. 10, Liddell will begin on No. 11 and Vesga will start on No. 12. Maymon tees off from No. 17 in pairings with UNLV, San Diego State and one additional golfer playing as an individual. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.