HILTON HEAD ISLAND, S.C. - Baylor women's golf is in 14th place after shooting 15-over-par 299 in Friday's first round of the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at Long Cove Club.
The Bears (+14) are in front of No. 35 Tennessee (+16), No. 20 Virginia (+17), No. 34 Auburn (+20) and No. 14 Oklahoma State (+20). BU is 13 shots back of the tournament leader, No. 2 Alabama (+2) and six strokes back of the top five.
Baylor also trails No. 13 Northwestern (+3), No. 3 Arkansas (+6), LSU (+7), No. 9 Furman (+8), Mississippi State (+8), No. 6 Arizona State (+9), No. 33 North Carolina (+9), Georgia (+10), No. 5 Duke (+11), No. 29 Vanderbilt (+11), No. 28 Wake Forest (+12) and No. 8 South Carolina (+14).
BU senior Amy Lee posted the Bears' best round of the day with a 1-over-par 71 to sit in a tie for 15th place in the 93-player field. Junior Maria Vesga and freshman Gurleen Kaur are tied for 42nd place after posting matching rounds of 4-over 75, and freshman Diane Baillieux carded Baylor's final counting score with a 6-over 77 to place her in a tie for 67th place. Baylor's third freshman in the lineup, Laila Hrindova, shot 6-over 77 in her first collegiate round and is tied for 77th place.
The Bears began their round from the 10th hole and played the back-nine first. BU took the turn at 13-over-par, and turned in a solid last half of the round with a combined score of 2-over. Lee shot 2-under on the front-nine, while Kaur made par on all nine holes to card even-par, Vesga shot 1-over and Baillieux shot 3-over.
• No. 37 Baylor finished the day ahead of four top-35 ranked teams - No. 14 Oklahoma State, No. 20 Virginia, No. 34 Auburn and No. 35 Tennessee.
• Baylor is tied for fourth in the 18-team field in par-5 scoring at even-par 5.00, tied fort 11th in par-3 scoring at 5-over 3.25 and tied for 15th in par-4 scoring at 17-over 4.31.
• Baylor's nine birdies in the first round tied for 11th-most in the field, and the Bears' 54 pars were 12th-most out of 18 teams.
• Laila Hrindova is tied for fourth in the 93-player field in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.75.
• Diane Baillieux and Gurleen Kaur are tied for ninth in par-5 scoring at 1-under 4.67.
• Amy Lee led the team with three birdies, which ranks tied for 11th in the field.
• Kaur finished her round with nine consecutive pars and is tied for 12th with 13 pars across 18 holes.
STAT OF THE DAY
2-over - Baylor shot an impressive 2-over on the front-nine, led by Amy Lee at 2-under with three birdies, one bogey and five pars. Gurleen Kaur carded nine consecutive pars to play the front-nine at even-par.
Baylor is paired with Tennessee and South Carolina for Saturday's second round, which starts at 7:30 a.m. CT with tee times from Nos. 1 and 10. Baylor tees off from No. 10 at 8:20 a.m., with Hrindova up first. She'll be followed in 10-minute intervals by Baillieux, Kaur, Vesga and Lee, respectively. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.