NORMAN, Okla. – Baylor women’s golf shot 3-under-par 281 in Monday’s final round to finish in 12th place at the Schooner Fall Classic. The Lady Bears carded a 54-hole total of 18-over-par 870.
Baylor (+18) earned wins over Texas State (+24), Mississippi State (+33) and Tulsa (+38). BU finished behind Alabama (-21), Clemson (-4), Florida (-3), Texas (-1), Florida State (+1), Oklahoma (+2), Notre Dame (+2), Texas A&M (+7), Washington (+7), Miami (+11) and UCF (+15).
Sophomore Fiona Liddell recorded seven birdies and one bogey on her way to tying the school record with a 65 in the final round. She posted the ninth 65 in school history and joined Laura Lonardi, Hayley Davis, Lene Hafsten-Morch and Jaclyn Jansen atop the Baylor record book. Liddell finished tied for 13th place with a 54-hole total of 2-under-par 211.
Amy Lee shot even-par 71 for the second time in three rounds to tie for 36th place at 4-over 217. Maria Vesga carded a 2-over 73 to finish tied for 47th place at 7-over 220, and freshman Diane Baillieux posted the final counting score with a 2-over 73 to finish tied for 78th place at 22-over 235.
• Fiona Liddell became the fifth different BU player to shoot 65 in tournament play.
• Liddell’s 6-under tie the sixth-best score to par in school history.
• Liddell finished second in the 81-player field in par-3 scoring at 3-under 2.80 and tied for ninth in par-4 scoring at 2-under 3.93.
• Liddell tied the best par-4 scoring average in the final round at 4-under 3.56, and her seven birdies tied for second-most in the final round.
• Amy Lee tied for 16th in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.83.
• Baylor finished 10th in the 15-team field in par-3 scoring at 10-over 3.13, tied for 11th in par-5 scoring at 3-over 5.05 and 12th in par-4 scoring at 34-over 4.25.
• BU made 43 birdies over three rounds, tied for seventh-most in the field.
• BU made 20 birdies on Monday, tied for third-most in the final round.
STAT OF THE DAY
65 – Fiona Liddell tied the school record with a final round 65. Five different BU players have shot 65 a total of nine times – Hayley Davis (four times), Laura Lonardi (twice), Lene Hafsten-Morch (once), Jaclyn Jansen (once) and Liddell (once). Liddell’s 6-under tied the sixth-best score to par in school history.
TOP QUOTE I
Head coach Jay Goble on the tournament …
“It’s not exactly the way we wanted to start off the year, but I scheduled it this way so that we could gain some momentum. It was nice to have a good round today. We talked this morning about learning from our mistakes and trying to get better to get some momentum going into the Annika next week, so we accomplished what we wanted today. They don’t give away national championship trophies in September, and I want my team to get better throughout the year and feel good about their games in April and May, so that’s what we’re going to shoot for. We’re going to learn from each tournament and each round that we play and try to move forward from here.”
TOP QUOTE II
Goble on Fiona Liddell’s record-tying round …
“It was pretty awesome. It was an amazing day for her. The thing with Fiona is that she can be as good as she wants to be. She had a great round for us at regionals last year with a 68 at University of Georgia. She really turns a switch every once in a while and looks like she just can’t miss a shot. She hit her irons amazing today, and she putted better. I think she’s an average putter that can get better, and she putted really well today, so it was nice to see the ball go in the hole.”
Baylor next competes at The ANNIKA Intercollegiate, a match play event that runs Oct. 1-3 at Olympic Hills Golf Club in Eden Prairie, Minn. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.