EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Baylor women’s golf is in ninth place after shooting 14-over-par 302 in Sunday’s first round of the ANNIKA Intercollegiate at Olympic Hills Golf Club.
BU is just three shots back of the top five with two rounds remaining. The Lady Bears (+14) trail Arkansas (E), South Carolina (+3), Stanford (+6), UCLA (+7), USC (+11), Texas (+12), Furman (+12) and Florida State (+13). BU leads Georgia (+17), Minnesota (+19) and Miami (+20).
Maria Vesga carded Baylor’s best round of the day at 2-over 74 to sit in a tie for 14th place in the 60-player field. Fiona Liddell is tied for 22nd place at 3-over 75, Amy Lee is tied for 29th at 4-over 76 and Giovana Maymon carded Baylor’s final counting score at 5-over 77 to place her in a tie for 37th place. Cheerie Tan is tied for 55th place at 9-over 81.
BU took the turn at 4-over with Liddell and Vesga at even-par, Lee at 1-over and Maymon and Tan at 3-over. Birdie by Tan and Lee on No. 10 moved Baylor to just 2-over, but the team played No. 11 at 7-over with Maymon the only player to make par. Maymon and Vesga played the back-nine at 2-over, while Lee and Liddell both came in at 3-over.
• Baylor leads the 12-team field in par-5 scoring at 5-under 4.75, ranks 11th in par-4 scoring at 20-over 4.40 and 12th in par-3 scoring at 8-over 3.40.
• Baylor’s 12 birdies in the first round tied for fifth-most in the field and its 51 pars tied for eighth-most.
• Fiona Liddell and Cheerie Tan are tied for third in the 60-player field in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.50, while Amy Lee is tied for seventh at 1-under 4.75.
• Maria Vesga and Giovana Maymon are tied for 12th in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00.
• Vesga, Liddell, Lee and Tan are tied for 12th with three birdies, while Maymon is tied for third with 14 pars.
STAT OF THE DAY
4.75 – Baylor’s 4.75 par-5 scoring average leads the 12-team field. All five Baylor golfers played all four par-5 holes at par or better, combining for five birdies and 15 pars. Tan birdied Nos. 1 and 14, Liddell birdied Nos. 6 and 18 and Lee birdied No. 14.
Second round play begins from the first and 10th hole at 9 a.m. CT Monday. Baylor will begin from the 10th tee in pairings with golfers from Furman and Florida State. Tan is up first at 9 a.m., and she’ll be followed in 10-minute intervals by Maymon, Lee, Liddell and Vesga, respectively. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.