EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Baylor women’s golf climbed two spots into a tie for seventh place after shooting 2-over-par 290 in Monday’s second round at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate. BU sits at 16-over-par 592 heading to the final round at Olympic Hills Golf Club.
Baylor (+16) is tied with Miami (+16) and in front of USC (+17), Florida State (+20), Georgia (+24) and Minnesota (+40). The Lady Bears trail Arkansas (-6), Texas (-2), Stanford (-2), UCLA (-1), Furman (+1) and South Carolina (+3).
BU’s second round 290 was a 12-stroke improvement from Sunday’s first round. Cheerie Tan was 11 strokes better in the second round, carding a 2-under-par 70 to jump 16 spots on the leaderboard into a tie for 39th place individually at 7-over 151. Amy Lee improved by five strokes to 1-under 71 and is tied for 24th place at 3-over 147.
Fiona Liddell topped her first-round score by one stroke with a 2-over 74 to move into a tie for 32nd place at 5-over 149, and Giovana Maymon shot two strokes better than Sunday with a 3-over 75 to sit tied for 42nd place at 8-over 152. Maria Vesga’s 4-over 76 did not count toward the team score, and she’s tied for 37th place at 6-over 150 through 36 holes.
Baylor started the second round on the back-nine and took the turn at 5-over-par, then played the front-nine at 3-under. Lee carded three birdies and six pars to play the front-nine at 3-under, while Liddell and Tan were both 1-under and Maymon was 2-over.
• Baylor ranks second in the 12-team field in par-5 scoring at 5-under 4.88, tied for eighth in par-4 scoring at 24-over 4.24 and 12th in par-3 scoring at 10-over 3.25.
• Baylor is seventh in the field in both birdies (25) and pars (111) through two rounds.
• Cheerie Tan is tied for fourth in the 60-player field in par-5 scoring at 4-under 4.50.
• Fiona Liddell is tied for sixth in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.63.
• Giovana Maymon and Maria Vesga are tied for 12th in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00.
• Amy Lee and Tan are tied for 13th with seven birdies over 36 holes.
• Vesga is tied for ninth with 26 pars over 36 holes.
STAT OF THE DAY
13– Baylor made 13 birdies in the second round. Lee and Tan had four birdies apiece, while Maymon made three birdies and Liddell had two birdies.
Tuesday’s final round begins at 9 a.m. with tee times from the first and 10th holes. Baylor players will begin on the 10th hole in pairings with golfers from Miami and USC. Maymon is up first at 9 a.m., and she’ll be followed in 10-minute intervals by Tan, Vesga, Liddell and Lee, respectively. Live scoring is available at www.golfstat.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.