EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. – Baylor women’s golf finished tied for eighth place with a 54-hole total of 25-over-par 889 at the ANNIKA Intercollegiate. The Lady Bears shot 9-over 297 in Tuesday’s final round at Olympic Hills Golf Club.
Baylor (+25) finished tied with Miami (+25) and ahead of Florida State (+30), Georgia (+36) and Minnesota (+71). BU trailed Arkansas (-16), UCLA (-4), Stanford (+6), Texas (+9), Furman (+9), South Carolina (+11) and USC (+21).
Amy Lee tied for 24th place at 5-over 221 following a final round of 2-over 74. Fiona Liddell and Maria Vesga also shot 2-over 74 in the final round, with Liddell finishing tied for 30th place at 7-over 223 and Vesga tied for 34th place at 8-over 224.
Cheerie Tan carded Baylor’s final counting score in Tuesday’s round with a 3-over 75 to finish in 38th place at 10-over 226. Giovana Maymon posted a final round of 10-over 82 to finish in 49th place at 18-over 234.
Baylor began the final round from the 10th tee and used a strong start to move just one shot back of sixth place. BU was 7-under nearing the turn with Lee, Tan and Vesga at 2-under and Liddell at 1-under, but the team made four double bogeys on Nos. 18 and 1. Lee’s birdie on No. 9 to close her round secured a tie with Miami, and the Lady Bears finished five strokes in front of Florida State after losing to the Seminoles by 17 strokes in their previous tournament.
• Baylor finished seventh in the 12-team field in both par-4 scoring at 29-over 4.19 and par-5 scoring at 3-over 5.05. BU was 11th in par-3 scoring at 16-over 3.27.
• Baylor’s 168 pars ranked sixth in the tournament, and BU tied for seventh with 35 birdies.
• Fiona Liddell and Cheerie Tan tied for 11th in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.83.
• Amy Lee tied for 12th in par-4 scoring at even-par 4.00.
• Maria Vesga tied for 20th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.08.
• Vesga tied for ninth in the 60-player field with 38 pars, while Liddell tied for 12th with 37 pars.
• Lee and Tan tied for the team lead with 10 birdies over 54 holes, which ranked 14th in the field.
• Lee earned her 20th career top-25 individual finish out of 29 tournaments played. She’s finished top-25 in 13 of her 15 tournaments while at Baylor.
STAT OF THE DAY
3 – Cheerie Tan was one of just three players in the field to make birdie on the par-4, 371-yard 13th hole, which played as the toughest hole in the final round with a scoring average of +0.62 to par.
Baylor returns home to prepare for the Betsy Rawls Longhorn Invitational, which runs Oct. 9-10 at University of Texas Golf Club. Live scoring will be available at www.birdiefire.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.