SAN JOSE DEL CABO, Mexico – Baylor women’s golf is tied for sixth place after shooting 6-over-par 290 in Friday’s first round of the Battle at the Beach at Club Campestre San Jose. BU is nine strokes back of the lead with two rounds remaining.
Baylor (+6) is tied with No. 20 Wake Forest (+6) and No. 21 Virginia (+6), and those teams trail No. 31 Oklahoma (-3), No. 1 UCLA (-2), No. 22 Houston (-1), No. 13 Texas (+2) and No. 38 Auburn (+4). BU leads No. 24 North Carolina (+10), TCU (+12), Mississippi State (+12), No. 25 Vanderbilt (+15), No. 36 Ohio State (+17) and Tulane (+18).
Freshman Diane Baillieux shot 3-under-par 68 and is tied for third place individually, one shot back of the lead in the 84-player field. Sophomore Fiona Liddell shot 1-under 70 and is tied for eighth place, and Maria Vesga and Amy Lee both shot 5-over 76 to sit tied for 51st place. Giovana Maymon is in 83rd after a 14-over 85.
Freshman Jordan Shackelford and sophomore Cheerie Tan are playing as individuals. Shackelford is in 76th place after a 9-over 80, while Tan was disqualified for an unsigned scorecard after shooting even-par 71.
• Baylor is tied for fourth in the 14-team field in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.85, tied for 10th in par-3 scoring at 6-over 3.24 and 12th in par-4 scoring at 17-over 4.38.
• Baylor’s 14 birdies in the first round were sixth-most in the field, and BU tied for 11th with 50 pars.
• Diane Baillieux is tied for second in the 84-player field in par-4 scoring at 2-under 3.78 and tied for third in par-5 scoring at 2-under 4.50.
• Fiona Liddell is tied for fourth in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.80, tied for 14th in par-5 scoring at 1-under 4.75 and tied for 20th in par-4 scoring at 1-over 4.11.
• Amy Lee is tied for 14th in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00.
• Baillieux’s five birdies tied for third-most in the first round, while Liddell tied for ninth with four birdies.
STAT OF THE DAY
9 – combined birdies from freshman Diane Baillieux and sophomore Fiona Liddell. The combined for birdies on eight different holes, with Baillieux making birdie on Nos. 5, 8, 10, 13 and 17 and Liddell sinking birdies on Nos. 7, 12, 15 and 17.
Saturday’s second round is scheduled for a 10:30 a.m. CT shotgun start. Baylor players are paired with golfers from Auburn, Wake Forest and Virginia. Maymon and Vesga will begin on No. 8, Lee starts on No. 7, Liddell begins from No. 6 and Baillieux tees off from No. 5. Individuals Tan and Shackelford begin from the 18th tee. Live scoring is available at www.birdiefire.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.