SAN JOSE DEL CABO, Mexico – Baylor women’s golf climbed two spots into fourth place after shooting 1-over-par 285 in Saturday’s second round of the Battle at the Beach at Club Campestre San Jose. BU has a 36-hole total of 7-over 575, which is 13 shots back of the lead entering Sunday’s final round.
Baylor (+7) trails only No. 31 Oklahoma (-6), No. 13 Texas (-1) and No. 1 UCLA (-1). The Lady Bears lead No. 38 Auburn (+12), No. 22 Houston (+12), No. 21 Virginia (+13), No. 20 Wake Forest (+18), No. 25 Vanderbilt (+21), Mississippi State (+24), No. 24 North Carolina (+26), TCU (+27), No. 36 Ohio State (+31) and Tulane (+32).
Sophomore Fiona Liddell carded her second consecutive round of 1-under-par 70 to move into a tie for sixth place in the 84-player field at 2-under 140. Freshman Diane Baillieux shot 3-over 74 and is alone in 10th place at even-par 142. Amy Lee improved by eight strokes with a 3-under 68 to move into a tie for 17th place at 2-over 144, and Maria Vesga posted the final counting score at 2-over 73 to tie for 42nd place at 7-over 149.
Giovana Maymon improved by eight strokes with a 5-over 77 and is in 80th place at 20-over 162. Freshman Jordan Shackelford and sophomore Cheerie Tan are both playing as individuals. Shackled is in 79th place at 19-over 161 after shooting 10-over 81 on Saturday, and Tan shot 2-over 73 in the second round but is disqualified for an unsigned first-round scorecard. Tan would be tied for 17th place at 2-over 144 had she not been disqualified.
• Baylor ranks third in the 14-team field in par-5 scoring at 10-under 4.75, eighth in par-4 scoring at 24-over 4.27 and 10th in par-3 scoring at 13-over 3.26.
• Baylor’s 26 birdies are tied for fourth-most in the tournament, and BU’s 107 pars are tied for eighth in the field.
• Fiona Liddell is tied for fourth in the 84-player field in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.90, tied for seventh in par-5 scoring at 3-under 4.62 and tied for 13th in par-4 scoring at 2-over 4.11.
• Liddell made an eagle on the 476-yard, par-5 13th hole, which was the only eagle made during the entire second round and one of just three eagles in the tournament.
• Amy Lee is tied for 11th in par-3 scoring at even-par 3.00 and tied for ninth with seven birdies.
• Diane Baillieux is tied for second in par-5 scoring at 4-under 4.50, tied for 13th in par-4 scoring at 2-over 4.11 and tied for ninth with seven birdies.
STAT OF THE DAY
8 – the number of strokes both Amy Lee and Giovana Maymon improved from first round to second round. Lee shot 5-over 76 in the first round and 3-under 68 in the second round, while Maymon shot 14-over 85 in the first round and 6-over 77 in the second round.
Sunday’s final round is scheduled for an 8:30 a.m. CST shotgun start. Baylor players are paired with golfers from the top three teams in the standings, Oklahoma, Texas and UCLA. Liddell will tee off from No. 1, Baillieux from No. 2, Lee from No. 3, Vesga from No. 4 and Maymon from No. 5. Tan and Shackelford will begin from the 18th tee. Live scoring is available at www.birdiefire.com. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.