SAN JOSE DEL CABO, Mexico – Baylor women’s golf finished tied for seventh place with a 54-hole total of 19-over-par 871 in the Battle at the Beach. The Lady Bears shot 12-over 296 in Sunday’s final round at Club Campestre San Jose.
BU (+19) earned head-to-head victories over No. 25 Vanderbilt (+24), Mississippi State (+27), TCU (+36), No. 24 North Carolina (+36), Tulane (+43) and No. 36 Ohio State (+50). Baylor tied No. 20 Wake Forest (+19) and finished one stroke back of No. 22 Houston (+18) and No. 38 Auburn (+18). No. 1 UCLA (-13) won the title ahead of No. 31 Oklahoma (-10), No. 13 Texas (-4) and No. 21 Virginia (+13).
Three BU players finished among the top 20 individuals. Freshman Diane Baillieux tied for 16th place at 2-over-par 215 following a final round of 2-over 73. Amy Lee and Fiona Liddell tied for 18th place at 3-over 216 after shooting 1-over 72 and 5-over 76, respectively, in the final round. Giovana Maymon posted the final third-round counting score with a 4-over 75 to tie for 78th place at 24-over 237.
Maria Vesga shot 7-over 78 in the final round and finished tied for 55th place at 14-over 227. Jordan Shackelford and Cheerie Tan both played as individuals, with Shackelford in 73rd place at 20-over 233 and Tan disqualified for an unsigned first-round scorecard. Tan shot 4-over 75 in the final round and would have tied for 33rd place at 6-over 219 if not for the disqualification. Shackelford posted her best collegiate round with a 1-over 72 on Sunday.
• Baylor finished fifth in the 14-team field in par-5 scoring at 11-under 4.81, 10th in par-4 scoring at 40-over 4.28 and 10th in par-3 scoring at 17-over 3.23.
• BU finished seventh with 36 birdies and 10th with 161 pars.
• Fiona Liddell tied for fourth in the 84-player field in par-3 scoring at 1-under 2.93, made one of five eagles for the entire tournament and tied for fifth with 38 pars over 54 holes.
• Diane Baillieux finished fourth in par-5 scoring at 5-under 4.56 and tied for eighth with 11 birdies.
• Amy Lee tied for 11th with 10 birdies.
• Jordan Shackelford tied for 20th in par-3 scoring at 1-over 3.07.
• Shackelford made eagle on the 370-yard, par-4 18th hole on Sunday, which was one of two eagles made in the round and one of five eagles in the tournament.
STAT OF THE DAY
4 – Baylor finished tied or ahead of four top-40 teams, including wins over No. 25 Vanderbilt, No. 24 North Carolina and No. 36 Ohio State and a tie with No. 20 Wake Forest.
Baylor has completed its fall season and next competes at the Northrop Grumman Regional Challenge, which runs Feb. 11-13 at Palos Verdes (Calif.) Golf Club. Follow @BaylorWGolf on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook for updates throughout the season.