May 17, 2004
2004 NCAA Women's Golf Championship
Dates: Tue.-Fri., May 18-21
Location: Grand National Lake Course; Opelika, Ala.
Field: 24 (Arizona, Arizona State, Baylor, California, Duke, Florida State, Furman, Georgia, Michigan State, New Mexico, North Carolina, Ohio State, Oklahoma State, Purdue, Southern Cal, Stanford, Tennessee, Texas, Texas A&M, UCLA, UNLV, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, Washington).
Bears Schedule Sunday Practice Round 10:06 a.m. Monday Practice Round 8:06 a.m. Tuesday First Round 8:10 a.m. (1st Tee) Wednesday Second Round 12:30 p.m. (10th Tee) Thursday Third Round Pairings/Tee Times TBA Friday Fourth Round Pairings/Tee Times TBA
The Baylor women's golf team will be making the program's first-ever appearance in the NCAA Championship hosted by Auburn May 18-21 at the Grand National Lake Course in Opelika, Ala.
The Bears qualified for the NCAA Championship by finishing fifth with a 54-hole total of 915 at the NCAA Central Regional May 12-14 at the Illinois State University Golf Course in Normal, Ill.
Baylor was led by sophomore Josefin Svenningsson, who finished third to post the highest regional finish in school history. She leads the team and ranks seventh in the Big 12 with a 75.25 stroke average.
Live scoring will be available on BaylorBears.com.
Player Season Average Meredith Jones 78.41 (29) Kelli McKandless 77.81 (32) Michaelyn Morgan 77.63 (32) Anna Rehnholm 77.25 (32) Josefin Svenningsson 75.25 (32)
* Meredith Jones [Sophomore]: Tied for 49th (77-74-85=236) in her last outing at the NCAA Central Regional...Tied for seventh, her highest career finish and second Top 10 of the season, at the 2004 Big 12 Championship...Fired 148 (74-74) at the conference tournament...Competed at the Susie Maxwell-Berning Classic finishing tied for 25th and shooting 233 (79-77-77) alongside senior teammate Miichaelyn Morgan...Concluded the BU-Tapatio Springs Shootout as Baylor's top finisher - tied for 8th, shooting 78-73-77=228...Tied for 16th (77-80-79) at the St. Croix Collegiate Classic...Tied for 64th (76-84-80=240) at the "Mo" Morial Invitaional...Shot three rounds of 76 (228) at the Central District Classic...Competed in three fall tournaments...Had her best 54-hole total of 234 at the Ptarmigan/Ram Classic, where she fired a season-low 76 in the final round...Finished tied for 56th at the Adidas Fall Invitational...Recorded an 80.56 stroke average in nine rounds...Made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
* Kelli McKandless [Senior]: Tied for 49th (83-77-76=236) in her last appearance at the NCAA Central Regional...Tied for 30th (76-80=156) at the 2004 Big 12 Championship...Tied for 52nd at the Susie Maxwell-Berning Classic ( 85-82-78=245)...Fiinished tied for 15th (74-76-82=232) at the BU-Tapatio Springs Shoootout...Tied for 26th (84-79-77=240) at the St. Croix Collegiate Classic...Tied for 15th at the "Mo" Morial Invitaional where she shot a 228 (75-77-76)...Tied for 29th (84-77-72=233) at the Central District Classic...Competed in all four tournaments this fall...Helped the team secure a second-place finish by placing 15th (225) at the New Mexico State Price's Invitational, including a career- and season-low 69 in the final round...Averaged 76.67 in 12 rounds.
* Michaelyn Morgan [Senior]: Tied for 49th (81-78-77=236) in her last showing at the Big 12 Championship...Tied for 51st (85-78=163) at the 2004 Big 12 Championship...Finished tied for 25th at the Susie Maxwell-Berning Classic with sophomore teammate Meredith Jones, shooting a 233 (78-79-76)...Competed in the BU-Tapatio Springs Shootout where she tied for 32nd with sophomore teammate Josefin Svenningsson...Shot two rounds of 77 and an 82 (236)...Tied for 16th (74-82-80=236) at the St. Croix Collegiate Classic...Tied for 45th (80-77--72=239) at the Central District Classic...Finished tied for 50th (79-78-79=236) at the "Mo"Morial Invitational...Traveled to all four tournaments this fall...Placed fourth at the adidas Fall Invitational, helping the Bear's capture the tournament title...Finished second at the New Mexico State Price's Invitational with a career-low 54-hole total of 219, including a season-low 71 in the final round...Averged 75.42 strokes in 12 rounds.
* Anna Rehnholm [Freshman]: Tied for 45th (79-74-82=235) her last time out at the NCAA Central Regional...Tied for 16th at the 2004 Big 12 Championship with a score of 152 (75-77)...Concluded the Susie Maxwell-Berning Classic tied for 33rd with a 236 (77-79-80)...Tied for 22nd with a 234 (76-78-80) at the BU-Tapatio Springs Shootout... Was the Bears' top finisher and posted the highest finish of her career by tying for third (79-76-73=228) at the St. Croix Collegaite Classic...Tied for 29th (76-78-79=233) at the Central District Classic...Shot a 236(80-77-79) to finish tied for 50th at the "Mo"Morial Invitational...Competed in all four tournaments in the fall...Shot 233 and placed 20th at the Ptarmigan/Ram Classic for her best finish...Tied for 23rd (229) at the Adidas Fall Invitational, which helped the Bears to the team championship...Averaged 76.50 strokes per round in 12 rounds...Made the Big 12 Commissioner's Honor Roll.
* Josefin Svenningsson [Sophomore]: Has six Top-10 finishes, including three Top-5 showings and a victory this year...Named to the All-Big 12 Team...Finished third with a score of 218 (75-72-71) in her last appearance at the NCAA Central Regional...Tied for 25th with a score of 154 (79-75) at the 2004 Big 12 Championship...Was the Bears' top finisher at the Susie Maxwell-Berning Classic, tying for third (79-72-73=224)...Tied for 32nd with senior teammate Michaelyn Morgan at the BU-Tapatio Springs Shootout...Shot a 76 and finished with two rounds of 80 (236)...Tied for 16th (76-79-81=236) at the St. Croix Collegiate Classic...Was the Bears' top finisher by tying for 13th (74-75-79=228) at the Central District Classic...Baylor's top finsiher at the "Mo"Morial Invitational, finishing ninth with a 225 (73-77-75) at 9-over par...Traveled to all four fall tournaments...Led the team to victory at the Adidas Fall Invitational, earning individual medalist honors with a Baylor record 54-hole total of 210...Shot 69 at both the Ptarmigan/Ram Classic and Adidas Fall Invitational, which were her career-low rounds and a Baylor record...Placed seventh at the Ptarmigan/Ram Classic and tied for 6th at the New Mexico State Price's Invitational... Averaged a team-best 73.92 in 12 rounds during the Fall and earned October Big 12 Golfer of the Month honors.
Baylor Postseason History
Baylor will be making its first-ever team appearance in the NCAA Women's Golf Championship after five straight NCAA Regional appearances...Melanie Hagewood qualified individually for the NCAA Championship in 2002 by finishing fourth at the NCAA Central Regional...The Bears made their first NCAA Regional appearance at the West Regional in Tempe, Ariz., in 2000, where they finished 18th...Baylor has played in the NCAA Central Regional every year since, finishing 12th in 2001, 10th in 2002, its highest-ever finish, and tied for 15th last year...All five of the Bears' postseason appearances have come under head coach Sylvia Ferdon.
Svenningsson Showing Signs
Sophomore Josefin Svenningsson appeared to be back in her fall form at the NCAA Regional, where she fired a 218 to finish third...Svenningsson averaged 73.92 strokes and had Top-10 finishes in three of four tournaments in the fall, and has averaged 76.05 with three Top-10 finishes in the spring...In the Bears' 11 tournaments this season, Svenningsson has nine Top-25, six Top-10 and three Top-5 finishes, including a victory at the adidas Fall Invitational, where she broke the school record with a 54-hole total of 210.
Keeping Up With Jones
Sophomore transfer Meredith Jones has significantly stepped up her play in the spring...Jones averaged 80.56 strokes per round in the fall, but is averaging only 77.45 for the spring and now 78.41 for the season...Jones had her streak of four straight Top-25 finishes broken at the NCAA Central Regional and probably would have kept it alive if not for one hole during the final round...She posted her highest career finish at the 2004 Big 12 Championship by tying for seventh to lead the Bears...Jones ran her streak to 11 straight rounds under 80 until the final round of the NCAA Central Regional.
Freshman Anna Rehnholm has been solid in her first year with the Bears...Rehnholm is second on the team to fellow Swede Josefin Svenningsson with a 77.25 stroke average (a Baylor freshman-best 76.50 in the fall and 77.70 in the spring)...She has six Top-25 finishes and one Top 5 this season...Rehnholm was the Bears' second-highest finisher at both the 2004 Big 12 Championship and the NCAA Central Regional.
The NCAA Championship will mark the final tournament in the careers of seniors Kelli McKandless and Michaelyn Morgan...Morgan has competed in three of the Bears' last four regional tournaments...In the fall, Morgan had a career-low 54-hole total of 219 to finish second, her highest career finish...McKandless transferred to Baylor as a sophmore from McLennan Community College...McKandless has competed in three straight regionals for the Bears...She posted her career-low 54-hole total of 222 at the 2002 Ptarmigan/Ram Classic and had a career-high finish by tying for eighth at the 2001 Islander Fall Classic.
The Bears will have four young players and no seniors returning for the 2004-05 season...Josefin Svenningsson, Meredith Jones and Sherry Summers will be juniors, while Anna Rehnholm will only be a sophomore...Signees Sian Reddick, Meg McDaniel and Stephanie Waters will join the team as freshmen in the fall.