(0-2-0) Rank: NR
Waco, Texas • Attendance: 490
(2-0-0) Rank: 10
WACO, Texas- Behind a strong performance from freshman Ashley York, No. 10 Baylor (2-0-0) completed a perfect home- and season-opening weekend with a 5-0 win over Northwestern State (0-2-0) on Sunday afternoon at Betty Lou Mays Soccer Field.
Similar to Friday's 5-0 win over UTSA, Baylor scored very early on in the contest as York's cross pass from the left wing set up Bri Camposfor a goal from the box in the fourth minute. However, BU did not score for the rest of the first period, despite owning a 21-1 shots advantage at the half.
Motivated to convert the surplus of shots into goals in the second period, the Bears scored in the 49th, 53rd and 56th minutes to create too large of a deficit for the Lady Demons to overcome. The first of which came on an own-goal as Vic Hoffman's cross from the right wing was headed in by Northwestern State. From there, York sealed the deal with a goal from the box off an Anjadai Seals throw-in and Kat Ludlow pass. Just over two minutes later, York put away a Hoffman pass from the right wing in the box. To cap the scoring, Emory Casoncorralled a deflection in the box and put one in the net in the 72nd minute.
• Baylor extended its program-record unbeaten streak to 23 matches.
• Baylor extended its home winning streak to 13 matches, dating back to the 2011 season, and tying a program record that was set from 1997-98.
• Ashley York netted five points on two goals and an assist while four of her six shots were on goal.
• Emory Cason scored her first collegiate goal in her second career game.
• Michelle Kloss earned her 21st win as goalkeeper, moving her three wins shy of Ashley Noah for third on the Baylor all-time list.
• Baylor posted back-to-back shutouts for the 22nd time under Co-Head Coaches Marci and Paul Jobson.
• Baylor has started the season with two straight shutout wins under the Jobsons three times now (2010, 2012).
• Northwestern State Head Coach George Van Linder fell to 0-2-0 against Baylor since he was BU's head coach from 2003-07.
• Baylor outshot Northwestern State 34-5 and held a 19-2 edge in shots on goal.
• For the second straight game, 24 players logged 10 or more minutes for the Bears.
STAT OF THE GAME
218:21 - The amount of minutes it has been since Baylor has given up a goal, which came in the 82nd minute of BU's Sweet 16 loss at North Carolina last season.
TWEET OF THE GAME
"Ashley [York] can shoot the ball probably better than anyone on our team. She has a tremendous shot, she's learning the system, she's learning what it takes to be a big girl and she's learning fast. She's a fast learner so I have been really pleased with her." - Baylor Co-Head Marci Jobson on freshman Ashley York
Baylor embarks upon a season-long four-match road trip, starting with a 5:30 p.m. CT meeting with Washington on Aug. 30. The Bears also play at SMU Sept. 1, against Missouri Sept. 6 in College Station, Texas, and at Texas A&M Sept. 8.