Aug 22, 2013
WACO, Texas -No. 10 Baylor soccer begins its season this weekend with a pair of home matches as the Bears face UTSA on Friday at 7 p.m. CT and Northwestern State on Sunday at 1 p.m. The matches at Betty Lou Mays Soccer Field will mark the beginning of BU’s 18th season and sixth under Co-Head Coaches Marci and Paul Jobson.
Both matches will feature a live audio stream on BaylorBears.com through Baylor All-Access, starting 10 minutes prior to kickoff. Live stats via GameTracker will also be available on BaylorBears.com, while Twitter updates can be found by following @BaylorFutbol.
BAYLOR QUICK NOTES
* Baylor is ranked in four preseason top 25 polls for the first time (10th by Top Drawer Soccer, 13th by the NSCAA, 14th by BennettRank and 22nd by Soccer America).
* Baylor was picked third in Big 12 preseason poll for second straight year (finished second last year), both are program-high picks by the league’s coaches.
* Baylor faces a tough schedule that features eight teams from the 2012 NCAA Tournament and five 2012 conference champions. The overall combined 2012 record of BU’s 2013 foes is 226-157-50.
* Baylor is coming off its best season ever – won Big 12 Championship title for the first time, advanced to NCAA Sweet 16 for first time and had the most wins in program history (19-1-5).
* Baylor fell 2-0 to No. 3 Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind., last Saturday in an exhibition. BU held ND scoreless in the first period. Both ND goals were given up on set piece plays.
* Sophomore forward Bri Campos and senior midfielder Kat Ludlow were chosen to the Preseason All-Big 12 Team. The pair gives BU its first preseason all-league honorees since 2003 and seven overall.
* Bri Campos participated with Mexico’s U-20 National Team on two occasions over the summer.
* Kat Ludlow is one of 30 candidates for the 2013 Senior CLASS Award. She’s BU’s first-ever soccer player to be a candidate for the award that was established for the sport in 2007. The award recognizes an NCAA Division I senior who has notable achievements in the community, classroom, character and competition.
* Baylor has not lost a match since Aug. 26, 2012 at Long Beach State (2-1 OT) -- a span of 21 matches, which is the longest unbeaten streak in program history.
* Baylor has won 11 straight home matches, dating back to the 2011 season after a 1-0 loss to Oklahoma State on Oct. 21, 2011.
* Baylor returns 22 players from the 2012 squad while adding seven newcomers.
* Northwestern State Head Coach George Van Linder makes his second return to Waco since being the Bears’ head coach from 2003-07. In his initial return last season, BU won 5-0 on Aug. 19, 2012. Van Linder ranks fourth all-time on the BU wins list with a 31-52-9 mark.
* Baylor is 12-4-1 all-time in season openers and 14-1-2 all-time in home openers. Under the Jobsons, BU is 3-1-1 in season openers and 5-0-0 in home openers.