Feb. 8, 2014
LAS VEGAS, Nev. - Clare Hosack doubled three times, and the No. 16 Baylor softball team collected 19 hits in a 17-1 rout of UC Davis (1-3) Saturday night at Eller Media Stadium. The Lady Bears improved to 2-1 on the season and in UNLV's Sportco Kick-Off Classic. Baylor will play the hosts Saturday at 10:15 p.m. PT.
The senior catcher, Hosack, joined former Lady Bears Kelsi Kettler and Na Wilkins in the BU record book for most doubles in a game. She finished the game with two runs scored and two RBI.
Linsey Hays started Baylor's offensive explosion with a two-run homer, her second of the season, followed by Hosack's run-scoring double to give the Lady Bears a three-run first. Then, Hays added another RBI single and Jordan Strickland's two-run double sparked a six-run second inning from which the Lady Bears never looked back.
Whitney Canion rebounded from a loss to No. 3 Washington Friday by throwing four innings of one-hit ball. She picked up the win and surrendered just a solo home run to the Aggies' Amy Nunez. Canion moved to 1-1 on the season, walked just one hitter and struck out three.
STAT OF THE GAME I
- Clare Hosack doubled three times, twice driving in runs to tie Baylor's single-game record for doubles. She became just the third Lady Bear to accomplish the feat (Nan Wilkins vs. Oklahoma City, 4/2/02; Kelsi Kettler, vs. UNT 2/23/13).
- Linsey Hays hit her second home run of the season (8th of career).
- Hays had her 15th career game with two or more RBI.
- Christy Lisenby had her first three college RBI on two hits.
- Ari Hawkins had her first extra-base hit as a college player; a double in the 2nd inning.
- Riley Browder had her first collegiate hit in the fifth inning in her first college at bat.
- Whitney Canion had her first win of the season and 93rd of her career from the pitcher's circle.
37 - Baylor has 37 hits through three games after 18 hits vs. UC Davis.
STAT OF THE GAME II
9 - Baylor scored eight runs after getting enough of a lead to qualify for a five-inning run rule; a day after the offense went scoreless the final three innings after building a 9-1 lead over San Diego.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on the Bears' peformance
"I was proud of the way our team continued to battle after two big innings. Yesterday against San Diego, I felt we got complacent with our large lead, but today the girls kept battling throughout the game."
Baylor plays UNLV Saturday at 10:30 PT and closes the Sportco Kick-Off Classic Sunday at 10 a.m. PT vs. Arkansas.