Feb. 9, 2014
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Sarah Smith, Jordan Strickland and Robin Landrith all homered for the No. 16 Baylor Softball team in the Bears’ 7-3 win over UNLV Saturday night at Eller Media Stadium. Baylor continued its momentum from a 17-1 win over UC Davis earlier Saturday to improve to 3-1 on the season, and Heather Stearns picked up her second win of the season from the pitcher’s circle for Baylor.
Smith hit a three-run shot in the third inning, her first of the season, to put Baylor up 3-0 before Strickland and Landrith added back-to-back solo shots to begin the top of the fourth. Clare Hosack added a two-run single in the sixth, and Baylor’s 11 hits gave the team 30 for the day (19 vs. UC Davis) at UNLV’s Sportco Kickoff Classic.
Stearns tossed 5.1 innings, gave up just one earned run and struck out six to move to 2-0 on the season. UNLV’s Amanda Oliveto picked up the complete-game loss for the Rebels, and the tournament hosts fell to 1-3 on the season.
STAT OF THE GAME I
- Sarah Smith’s home run in the third inning was the first of the season and the sixth of her career.
- Jordan Strickland has matched her season total of two home runs through four games in 2014 after hitting two apiece in each of the 2012 and 2013 seasons.
- Robin Landrith’s home run was the second of her career, and she reached base all four times she was at the plate in the game for the Bears.
- Kaitlyn Thumann went 2-for-4 at the plate and has hit safely in all four games this season for Baylor.
- Clare Hosack had her second consecutive three-hit game and tallie four RBI in BU’s two victories Saturday.
7 – Baylor has seven home runs through four games this season and hit just 30 in 59 games last year.
STAT OF THE GAME II
1 – Heather Stearns
has given up just one earned run in two starts thus far for Baylor.
Baylor closes the Sportco Kick-Off Classic vs. Arkansas (2-2) at 10 a.m. PT.