Whitney Canion became BU's all-time leader in shutouts with a 5-0 win over Ark. Sunday
Feb. 9, 2014
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Whitney Canion became Baylor’s all-time leader in career shutouts, tossing a two-hit shutout in a 5-0 win over Arkansas Sunday at Eller Media Stadium. Canion threw her 31st career shutout passing Stacey Allison’s (1996-99) mark of 30.
Lindsey Cargill hit her first collegiate home run, a two-run shot in the third inning and Jordan Strickland added her third home run of the season, a two run homer, in the sixth.
Canion needed just 90 pitches to shutout the Razorbacks; she walked three and struck out six to move to 2-1 on the season. Baylor left the UNLV Sportco Kick-Off Classic with a 4-1 record while the Razorbacks fell to 2-3.
- Whitney Canion threw her 31st career shutout breaking a tie with Stacey Allison (30, 1996-99) to become Baylor’s all-time leader in shutouts.
- It was Canion’s 94th career win and her 92nd career complete game.
- Jordan Strickland already has a personal best three home runs in the 2014 season after hitting two in 2012 and two in 2013.
- Lindsey Cargill hit her first collegiate home run, a two-run homer over the right-centerfield fence in the third inning to give Baylor a 3-0 lead.
- Kaitlyn Thumann extended her hitting streak to five games; she hit safely in all five games of the UNLV Sportco Kickoff Classic.
STAT OF THE GAME I
2 – Canion allowed just two singles and a Razorback player never reached third base during the game.
STAT OF THE GAME II
9 – Baylor has nine home runs through five games after hitting just 30 in 59 games in 2013.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on the Bears’ peformance
“I’m proud of the way the girls finisehd the tournament, playing an early morning game after finishing really late last night. They brought a very good game against a very good team in Arkansas, it was a high RPI game, we needed to play well and I thought we did. Whitney really threw a great game, and I couldn’t be happier with our offense. I thought we put a complete together in the final day of the tournament.”
Baylor plays host to the Getterman Classic Friday through Sunday in Waco including games against UAB, Drake, Lipscomb, Iowa and East Carolina.