(8-12) Rank: NR/NR
Waco, Texas Attendance: 786
(17-4) Rank: 12/12
WACO, Texas - Linsey Hays drove in a career-high five runs helping No. 12 Baylor (17-4) to a 10-1 win over Louisiana Tech (8-12) Thursday night at Getterman Stadium. Hays hit her team-leading fifth home run of the year and first career grand slam to break the game open in the bottom of the second.
Hays drove in a run with an RBI single in the first before hitting a towering home run over the left centerfield wall to give Baylor a 6-0 advantage through two innings.
Whitney Canion, in an abbreviated start, struck out eight and allowed only two hits in four scoreless innings to improve to 9-3 on the season.
Kaitlyn Thumann went 3-for-3 with three runs scored to extend her hitting streak to eight games, and the junior rightfielder has now reached base safely in her last 41 games for Baylor.
The Lady Techsters got their only run of the game in the top of the fifth on a solo homer from Janine Goodwin.
- Linsey Hays drove in a career high five runs including her first career grand slam; the home run was her fifth of the season (team-leading) and 11th of her career.
- Kaitlyn Thumann extended her latest hitting streak to eight games and has now reached base in 41-straight games dating back to April 7, 2013.
- Thumann now has 35 career games with at least two hits in a game, and it was her fourth game in the last eight to have three hits.
- Holly Holl's solo home run was her first of the season and her second extra-base hit on the year; it was also Holl's ninth career home run.
- Ari Hawkins' five-game hitting streak was snapped, but the freshman extended her streak of reaching base to eight games.
- Whitney Canion's victory from the circle was her 101st career win; she'll need just one more to tie OU's Kami Keiter for sixth all-time in the Big 12's career wins list.
STAT OF THE GAME I
.630 - Kaitlyn Thumann is 17-for-27 at the plate during her latest eight-game hitting streak good for a .630 batting average; she's also driven in six of her nine RBI this season during the streak.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on the Bears' peformance
"I don't know how often you see the flags stand still in Getterman Stadium like they were tonight. We were just a few feet from having a couple more out of the park. I'm really impressed with the way we set the tone early. The very first inning was probably the best start of a game we have had all year."
THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor softball player Kaitlyn Thumann is hitting .630 over her last eight games. Wow.-- Shehan Jeyarajah (@ShehanJeyarajah) March 7, 2014
Baylor will get some much needed rest returing to action March 14 at USF's Spring Break Invitational in Clearwater, Fla. The Lady Bears will play five games an begin with UMass and Penn State March 14.