March 16, 2014
Clearwater, Fla. Attendance: 100
(22-4) Rank: 12/12
CLEARWATER, Fla.. - A day after her 44-game streak of reaching base came to an end, Baylor junior rightfielder Kaitlyn Thumann had four hits and tied a school record with four runs to help the Lady Bears (22-4) defeat Penn State (6-15) 8-1 Sunday.
The victory helped Baylor go 5-0 at the USF Michele Smith Spring Break Tournament, the first sweep for the team in its fifth five-game tournament of the season.
Thumann had three singles and a double while coming around to score all four times; she became the seventh player in school history to score four runs in a game tying the school record.
Baylor spread out its offense, scoring in every inning but the bottom of the third. Ari Hawkins and Clare Hosack drove in two runs apiece to support Thumann, and Heather Stearns won her ninth game of the season from the pitcher's circle. Stearns (9-1) completed her third game of the season, scattered her five hits, allowed just one run, didn't walk a hitter and struck out nine.
- Kaitlyn Thumann had a season-high four hits (tying a career high), and she tied a school record with four runs scored becoming the seventh player in school history to score four runs in a game.
- It was Thumann's 37th career multi-hit game.
- Ari Hawkins (9th of the season) and Holly Holl (5th) each had multi-hit games for Baylor.
- Holl had her fifth game of the season with 2+ RBI (2) and Hawkins had her third (2).
- Hawkins had her first collegiate triple in the second inning.
- Stearns completed her third game of the season and ninth of her career. The win was the 21st of her career.
STAT OF THE GAME I
4 - Kaitlyn Thumann had four runs and four hits a day after her 44-game on base streak came to an end vs. UCONN. The four hits tied a career high and the four runs tied a single-game school record. THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor will play host to Texas State Tuesday at Getterman Stadium at 6 p.m.