Waco, Texas Attendance: 735
(23-4) Rank: 12/12
WACO, Texas - Whitney Canion struck out 10 and allowed just one hit in 5.2 innings while Clare Hosack's two-run home run in the first inning would be all No. 12 Baylor (23-4) would need to defeat Texas State (17-12) Tuesday night at Getterman Stadium.
Canion's no-hit bid ended in the top of the sixth with one out when the Bobcats' Bianca Prado reached on an infield single. Canion reached double-digit strikeouts for the fifth time this season, and she improved to 12-3 on the season.
Hosack's home run put her in both the school's career top 10 list for home runs (16) and RBI (83). She took an 0-2 pitch over the leftfield wall with the wind blowing in to score her and Kaitlyn Thumann.
Heather Stearns picked up her first save of the season recording the final four outs and struck out one.
- Whitney Canion struck out 10 and reached double-digits for the fifth time in 2014. She carried a no-hitter into the sixth inning, and her 12th win of the season was the 104th win of her career.
- Clare Hosack's two-run homer in the first inning was the fourth of the season and 16th of her career. That helped her pass Bri Chambliss (15 -1996-97, 2000) to take sole possession of 10th place all-time on BU's career list for home runs.
- Hosack's two RBI (83) also made her 10th all-time on the school's career list passing Megan Turk's (2009-2012) mark of 82.
- Sarah Smith's single in the sixth inning extended her hitting streak to five games.
- Heather Stearns' save was the second of her career and the first of 2014.
- The win was Baylor's 11th straight in 2014.
STAT OF THE GAME I
7 - Canion struck out seven of the first eight Texas State hitters she faced Tuesday night.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on Whitney Canion's performance
"She's getting better every game, you want to get a pitcher on the incline when you go into Big 12 play. I think she's sharpened her game to where she wants it; she's felt she's been in the zone for the first time I think in a couple of years probably."
THEY TWEETED IT
Canion has 7K's through three innings of work, headed to B3 with Baylor leading Texas State 2-0 #SicEm-- Baylor Softball (@BaylorSoftball) March 18, 2014
Baylor begins Big 12 play with Texas Saturday and Sunday with a pair of televised games. BU will play host to the Longhorns Saturday at 11 a.m. on a Fox Sports Southwest broadcast followed by an ESPNU broadcast Sunday at 6 p.m.