March 29, 2014
LUBBOCK, Texas - Heather Stearns secured her 10th win of the season as No. 12 Baylor secured the first series victory of Big 12 play Saturday evening, beating Texas Tech 6-4 at Rocky Johnson Field. Stearns struck out 11 while only giving up five hits in seven innings.
Clare Hosack hit a towering home run in the top of the third for one of her two RBI on the night. The home run, her eighth of the season and 20th of her career, moved the senior into a tie for ninth place on Baylor's career home run list with Ryan Stukel (1999-2001).
Second baseman Ari Hawkins added an RBI and a stolen base, bringing her season total to a team-high 13.
The Red Raiders came back from an early 6-1 deficit, scoring three unanswered runs before Stearns retired the final six batters to seal the game.
STAT OF THE GAME
- Clare Hosack hit her third home run of the series, moving her into a tie for ninth on Baylor's career home run list with 20.
- Sarah Smith extended her on-base streak to 13 games.
- Heather Stearns now has a five-game winning streak from the circle, and her complete game was the 10th of her career.
- Linsey Hays' single in the first inning extended her hitting streak to four games.
- The Bears are averaging 2.00 runs per inning over their last 15 innings.
THEY SAID IT
Head Coach Glenn Moore on the Bears' performance:
"Outstanding performance in the circle by Heather Stearns
. I thought we started out of the blocks really strong. I'm real happy with the fact that we took care of business early. I thought we let off of the gas pedal a little bit in the fourth inning when we had opportunities to kind of blow it open, and we let them hang around a little bit and make a game out of it. I'm very pleased to get the series win and know we are going to have to work very hard to get the sweep tomorrow."
The Bears will attempt to sweep the Red Raiders in the final game of the three-game series at 12 p.m. CT on Sunday at Rocky Johnson Field before they head home to take on Lamar at 6 p.m. on Tuesday evening at Getterman Stadium.