Waco, Texas Attendance: 745
(28-6) Rank: 13/13
WACO, Texas - The No. 13 Baylor (28-6) softball team will head into its only remaining open weekend with a win after the Lady Bears beat Lamar (12-15), 6-1 Tuesday night at Getterman Stadium. Linsey Hays hit a 2-run homer in the second and Liz Paul picked up her third win of the season from the circle to pace Baylor.
Baylor jumped on the Lady Cardinals early scoring on a bases-loaded hit by pitch drawn by Clare Hosack and a sacrifice fly from Sarah Smith in the bottom of the first to give BU a 2-0 lead. Then, in the bottom of the second, Linsey Hays hit her sixth home run of the season over the centerfield wall to score Robin Landrith and Baylor took a comfortable 4-0 lead.
Christy Lisenby added an RBI single and later came around to score on an error in the fifth for Baylor's final runs. The Lady Cardinals scored their only run on an error when Stephanie Meeuwsen scored from second base on a throwing error as Heather Stearns tried to thow out Casey Cromwell on a sacrifice bunt attempt.
Paul threw four innings, allowed just two hits, walked two and struck out four to move to 3-0 while Stearns picked up her second save of the season allowing just one unearned run in three innings of relief.
- Liz Paul's win from the pitcher's circle gives her 8th place on BU's all-time wins list with 23, breaking a tie held by current teammate Heather Stearns and Kirsten Shortridge (2007-08).
- Linsey Hays' home run was her sixth of the season, and matches her total from last year to give her 12 career home runs.
- Hays' two RBI gives her seven games this season with 2+ RBI. Hays is on a 6-game hitting streak.
- Clare Hosack's single in the fifth inning extended her hitting streak to five games, which is a career-high for the senior. She also has five consecutive games with an RBI after her bases-loaded HBP in the first.
- Heather Stearns' save was the second of the season, which ties her with Liz Paul for second among Big 12 players this season.
- Lindsey Cargill posted her eighth multi-hit game of the season, which is tied for third-best on the team.
STAT OF THE GAME
7 - Hays has seven RBI over the last six games in which she has hit in all safely.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on Baylor's performance
"I think we have done a good job lately of getting ahead offensively early in games, which gives our pitcher's an opportunity to deliver. I was happy with both Liz [Paul] and Heather [Stearns'] performance tonight. We have a few days off, but it's important with this weekend off that we stay sharp headed into the final third of the season."THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor plays at the University of Houston April 8 at 4 p.m. in a non-conference road doubleheader.