April 19, 2014
STILLWATER, Okla. - For the second-straight game, Baylor's Jordan Strickland left the yard twice and the Lady Bears got a three-hit shutout from Whitney Canion in an 8-0 win at Oklahoma State Saturday to take the series. After falling 2-1 Friday, the Lady Bears (32-10, 6-4) rebounded for a pair of run-rule victories over the Cowgirls (24-20, 4-9) Saturday and Sunday to take the series from OSU for the third-straight year.
Strickland put Baylor on the board with a 3-run homer in the third, and Kaitlyn Thumann hit a two-run homer in the fourth to give the Lady Bears a 5-0 advantage. Strickland then, hit her fourth home run of the series and ninth of the season in the fifth inning before Linsey Hays' solo shot in the sixth would help close the door.
Whitney Canion improved to 18-8 on the season with a three-hit shutout. She struck out 11 and walked only one. The victory tied Canion for fifth on the Big 12 career wins list with 110.
All in all Strickland finished the OSU series with four home runs and 12 RBI; she had entered the series with 15 RBI on the season and nearly matched that total in the final two games of the series.
- Whitney Canion became Baylor's all-time leader in complete games with her 106th Saturday. She passed Stacy Allison (105, 1996-99) to take the record.
- Canion is now tied with Nebraska's Jenny Voss for fifth on the Big 12's career wins list with 110.
- Canion's shutout was the 38th of her career.
- Jordan Strickland hit two home runs in a game for the second-straight day and it ties the schools' single-game record marking the 35th time in school history that the feat has been accomplished.
- Strickland tallied 12 RBI on the weekend with a grand slam, two three-run homers, and one two-run bomb to increase her season's RBI total to 27 and tie for the team lead in home runs (9) with Clare Hosack.
- Kaitlyn Thumann had two hits for her 41st career multi-hit game; her two-run homer in the fourth was the fourth of the season for the junior.
- Linsey Hays' solo home run in the sixth was the seventh of the season and 13th of the sophomore's career.
- Thumann, Holly Holl and Ari Hawkins all hit safely in each of the three games this series at OSU.
STAT OF THE GAME I
8 - Canion struck out 11 Saturday at OSU, and it marks the eighth time this season she's had a double-digit strikeout performance.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on Baylor's performance
"We'd like to have Thursday night back, but I couldn't be prouder of how our team responded in the final two games of the series. I thought especially today, since we were able to get hot against an ace like Simone Freeman that it will go a long way for our confidence in the final stretch of the season."
THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor will play Louisiana in a doubleheader in Waco at Getterman Stadium Tuesday at 4 p.m. The games will be broadcast on Fox Sports Southwest.