April 23, 2014
SAN ANTONIO, Texas – No. 14 Baylor (33-12) pounded out 10 hits and beat UTSA (20-27) for the second time this season with a 7-1 win Wednesday night at Roadrunner Field. Ari Hawkins had her second three-hit game in as many days to help lead Baylor, and all three Lady Bear pitchers combined for the victory.
Hawkins, who had three hits in the first game of BU’s doubleheader loss to Louisiana-Lafayette Tuesday, had three singles again Wednesday, scored a run, drove in a run and stole a base in the win for the Bears. The freshman second baseman extended her hitting streak to seven games and is hitting .522 (12-23) during the stretch.
Baylor scored two runs in the first, one in the second, and two apiece in the fifth and sixth innings to take the win. Robin Landrith homered in the sixth and Kaitlyn Thumann and Sarah Crockett joined Hawkins with multi-hit games.
Thumann collected three hits in the game as well, including her team-leading 12th double. The junior centefielder has 16 multi-hit games on the season, eight of which include three hits or more. Holly Holl added two RBI on the evening scoring runs on a fielder’s choice and a sacrifice fly.
Liz Paul pitched well in a spot start limiting UTSA to just three hits and one run in 3.1 innings of work. Whitney Canion struck out five in 2.2 innings of work and Heather Stearns struck out two in the seventh to finish out the game. Canion was the pitcher of record and moved to 19-9 on the season.
- Ari Hawkins had three hits for the second-straight day. Her hitting streak was extended to seven games and she’s hitting .522 during the streak (12-23).
- Kaitlyn Thumann had three hits as well including her 150th career hit, with her second single of the night. Thumann has 16 mult-hit games on the season, she has an eight-game hitting streak and her on-base streak is at 11 through Wednesday’ night’s game.
- Sarah Crockett mathed a career-high with two hits Wednesday night with a pair of singles.
- Holly Holl had two RBI giving her five games this season with multi-RBI.
- Whitney Canion’s win out of the bullpen was the 111th of her career leaving her one shy of tying for fourth place on the Big 12’s career list for wins with Blaire Luna (Texas, 112, 2010-2013).
STAT OF THE GAME I
20 – All 20 players on Baylor’s roster appeared in Wednesday night’s 7-1 win at UTSA.
THEY SAID IT
Glenn Moore on Baylor’s performance
“We needed to play a solid game and get all our pitchers some work. Everyone saw time and that was important as we head into our Big 12 series with Kansas.”
Baylor resumes Big 12 play with a three-game home series with Kansas. The Lady Bears will take on the Jayhawks Friday at 6:30 p.m., Saturday at 3 p.m. (FSSW) and Sunday at Noon.