WACO, Texas - Heather Stearns picked up her first complete-game victory from the pitcher's circle since March 29 Tuesday night helping No. 17 Baylor (37-12) take down North Texas (28-20) 7-1 at Getterman Stadium. Clare Hosack and Linsey Hays each homered in the first inning to help sink the Mean Green.
Hosack's home run was a three-run shot that was the 10th of the season, but the first since March 30. It also gave her 100 career RBI and tied for sixth all-time on BU's career RBI list. Two batters later, Linsey Hays added her ninth homer of the season, a solo shot over the centerfield wall, to cap a four-run bottom of the first for Baylor.
Stearns matched her season's win total from a year ago improving to 12-3 on the season, and she allowed just one run on four hits while striking out eight in the victory.
Baylor added three runs on three hits in the third inning with Hays picking up another RBI single and Jordan Strickland hit a bases-loaded single that scored two. UNT's only run came in the top of the seventh when pinch hitter Shelbie Smith hit a solo home run off Stearns.
- Clare Hosack hit her 10th home run of the season, a three-run shot Tuesday night. It was the 22nd of her career, which tied her for seventh all-time on BU's career list with Stephanie Pomes (22, 2002-05).
- Hosack's three RBI gave her an even 100 for her career, which tied her for sixth all-time with Ashley Monceaux (100, 2006-07). Hosack now has 40 RBI on the season, which ties her for the ninth best single-season total in school history with Kristin Barton (40, 1996).
- Linsey Hays hit her ninth home run of the season to give her 15 in her career in just two seasons. Her two RBI game tied her with Hosack for the team lead with 10 games with at least two RBI.
- Jordan Strickland hit a two-run single to give her 33 RBI on the season and it was her eighth game of the season with multi-RBI.
- Holly Holl's double in the fourth inning was the 42nd of her career, which leaves her one shy of tying Kelly Osburn (43, 2003-06) for second on the school's career doubles list.
- Heather Stearns' win from the pitcher's circle was the 12th of the season for her, matching last year's win total, and gave her 24 wins in her career; that moves her to eighth all-time past teammate Liz Paul (23).
- Stearns complete-game win was her first since March 29 vs. Texas Tech.
- Kaitlyn Thumann's on-base streak was extended to 14 games after she walked three times in as many plate appearances. Her three walks gave her 31 on the season, which tied her for the eighth highest single-season walks total in school history with Bri Chambliss (31, 1997) and Kelly Osburn (31, 2005).
STAT OF THE GAME I
.513 - Kaitlyn Thumann's on-base percentage this season after drawing three walks and extending her on-base streak to 14 games.
"I thought UNT was a good hitting team and it was nice for Heather to get a good start and be able to finish it. It's as effective as we've seen her in a while, and we will need her down the stretch; I thought she did a great job."
Baylor will play McNeese State at 5 p.m. Wednesday night in a single-game at Getterman Stadium. Fans are encouraged to take advantage of $1 hot dog night at the park.