May 11, 2014
(42-13, 13-5) Rank: 17/17
Austin, Texas • Attendance: 1,304
(33-21, 12-6) Rank: RV
WACO, Texas – Taylor Thom’s RBI double in the bottom of the seventh inning to score Brejae Washington sunk Baylor’s attempt to take a series with Texas for the first time since 2001 Sunday, and the Longhorns took a 3-2 win at McCombs Field in the regular-season finale.
Baylor (42-13, 13-5) rallied to tie the score at two after trailing 2-0 to the Longhorns (33-21, 12-6), but Washington’s bunt single to lead off the bottom of the seventh set up Thom’s game-winning hit two batters later. Thom took a 1-0 pitch to the right centerfield gap scoring arguably the fastest runner in the Big 12, Washington, from first base.
Heather Stearns picked up the loss (13-4) in relief of Whitney Canion who pitched just four innings in the loss and allowed the first two runs of the ball game. Tiarra Davis threw a complete game in every game of the series for Texas and improved to 18-12 on the year with the win for the Longhorns.
Baylor’s second run came in the top of the fifth when Ari Hawkins’ hard-hit single to Washington in center took a hop over the fielder to the wall and allowed Kaitlyn Thumann to score and Hawkins to advance to third. Then Holly Holl hit a fly ball to leftfield with one out and Hawkins scored on the tag up, but was later called out for leaving the base early, which would have been the go-ahead run.
Baylor fell in Waco to Texas March 22, 4-1 before evening the series Tuesday with a 2-1 win at home. However, Texas’ win Sunday marked the third-straight season that the Longhorns have taken the series from Baylor.
The Lady Bears have been projected to play host to a first-roun NCAA Regional Tournament for the first time since 2009. Baylor was ranked No. 12 in the NCAA RPI rankings released Monday, and the Lady Bears split with Texas in two games to close the season. The NCAA selection committee will announce its selections Sunday night at 9 p.m. CT on ESPNU.
- Kaitlyn Thumann extended her on-base streak to 20 games, and she scored both of Baylor’s runs in the loss.
- Ari Hawkins and Lindsey Cargill each had two hits apiece; it was Hawkins’ 17th game and Cargill’s ninth to have a multiple hits on the season.
- Holly Holl had Baylor’s only RBI, it was the 34th of the season for the senior and the 103rd of her career to give her fifth place all-time on BU’s career RBI list.
- Clare Hosack singled in the third inning to extend her on-base streak to 10 games.
- Sarah Smith walked twice, which extended her on-base streak to nine games.
- Baylor’s 13 wins in Big 12 play were the second-highest total in school history behind the 2007 team’s 14, which won the league; Baylor’s second-place finish was the highest since the Big 12 championship in 2007, and the highest for the group of seniors that include Whitney Canion, Clare Hosack, Holly Holl and Liz Paul.
STAT OF THE GAME I
7 – Baylor left seven runners on base in the loss to UT.