Feb. 14, 2014
WACO, Texas. - It wasn't quite the offensive barrage that Baylor saw at UNLV's tournament last weekend, but the No. 14/16 ranked Lady Bears took 4-2 wins over UAB (1-5) and Drake (0-6) Friday night at Getterman Stadium to improve to 6-1 on the season.
Clare Hosack hit a 3-run walk-off home run in the bottom of the ninth inning and Whitney Canion struck out 13 in a complete-game effort as Baylor took down UAB in extra innings. In the nightcap, Lindsey Cargill's 2-run homer highlighted the Lady Bears' 4-2 win over Drake.
Canion went the distance allowing just two hits over nine innings, she allowed one earned run, walkd three and struck out 13 to move to 3-1 on the season in Baylor's win over UAB. BU starter Heather Stearns followed with her third victory of the seaosn striking out six and allowing only a run to Drake to move to 3-0.
- Whitney Canion struck out 13 giving her 23 career games with at least 12 strikeouts.
- The win for Canion vs. UAB was the 95th of her career and her 93rd complete game.
- Kaitlyn Thumann extended her hitting streak to seven games by collecting a hit in each game Friday night.
- Thumann collected her 100th career hit, a single, in BU's win over Drake.
- Jordan Strickland extended her hitting streak to six games, tying a career high, with a hit in each game for Baylor.
- Clare Hosack's walk-off home run was the first homer of the season for the senior and the 13th of her career.
- Hosack's three hits vs. UAB tied a career high, and marked the third time this season already that she's had three hits in a game.
- Lindsey Cargill's home run vs. Dake was the second of the season for the freshman, and both home runs have been two-run shots.
- Justine Young picked up her first RBI of the season vs. Drake in the fourth inning.
- Holly Holl picked up her first RBI of the season vs. UAB, and it was her 70th career run driven in.
- Liz Paul picked up her third career save with a three-inning relief appearance vs. Drake.
STAT OF THE GAME I
18 - Whitney Canion retired 18-straight hitters vs. UAB from the last out in the second inning through the eighth inning.
STAT OF THE GAME II
.588 - Clare Hosack's batting average through seven games is .588 (10-for-17), and she was a career .248 hitter in 314 at bats coming into the season.
THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor takes on Lipscomb (6-0) and Iowa (2-4) at 3 p.m. and 5:30 p.m., respectively Saturday in day two of the Getterman Classic.