Feb. 15, 2014
BU vs. Lipscomb Box | BU vs. Iowa Box
WACO, Texas – Baylor’s six-game win streak came to an end Saturday when Lipscomb (7-1) outlasted the Lady Bears, 1-0 before BU rebounded with a 2-0 victory over Iowa (2-5) to improve to 7-2 overall at day two of the Getterman Classic.
Whitney Canion struck out 11 in a complete-game loss to fall to 3-2 on the season with her only blemish, a triple by Lipscomb’s Bridgette Begle to drive home Gracey Aguirre who reached on an error. Baylor had the bases loaded twice in the game, once in the first with one out, and once in the fifth with no outs, but the Lady Bears weren’t able to score a run on either opportunity.
The Lady Bears rebounded with Heather Stearns pitching Baylor to a 2-0 win over the Hawkeyes. Stearns threw 5.1 innings and allowed only three hits to move to 4-0 on the season while Liz Paul picked up her second-consecutive by retiring the final five Iowa hitters on the night.
STAT OF THE GAME I
- Whitney Canion passed the 1,200 career strikeouts mark (1,203) and posted back to back starts with double-digit stirkeouts (13 vs. UAB, 11 vs. Iowa).
- Canion’s complete game was the 94th of her career.
- Kaitlyn Thumann matched a career high with an eight-game hitting streak after going 2-for-4 vs. Lipscomb, however, her streak was snapped after going hitless in the win over Iowa.
- Clare Hosack’s double drove home a run vs. Iowa; it was her fourth double of the season, and 23rd of her career, leaving her three doubles shy of breaking into BU’s top 10 all-time career doubles list.
- Heather Stearns has allowed just two earned runs in four starts this season, and moved to 4-0 on the season.
- Liz Paul completed her second-consecutive save retiring the final five hitters in BU’s win over Iowa; she became the first player in the Getterman Classic tournament history to have two saves.
- The Getterman Classic is in its 13th season.
0.75 – Heather Stearns’ ERA after four starts for the Lady Bears this season; she didn’t allow a run in 5.1 innings of work vs. Iowa to move to 4-0 on the season.
STAT OF THE GAME II
9 – Baylor left nine runners on base in the loss to Lipscomb, which included two times for the Baylor offense where the bases were loaded (with one out in the first & no outs in the fifth).
Baylor will close the Getterman Classic vs. No. 18-ranked Missouri (4-0) at 11 a.m.