March 2, 2014
Baylor Games at Gulf Coast Classic
|Friday, Feb. 28||Baylor (10) vs. Louisiana (11)||5 p.m.||Box Score||Recap|
|Friday, Feb. 28||Mississippi St. (0) vs. Baylor (1) - 8 inn.||8 p.m.||Box Score||Recap|
|Sat., March 1||Texas State (1) vs. Baylor (11) - 5 inn.||5 p.m.||Box Score||Recap|
|Sat., March 1||Baylor (1) vs. South Alabama (0)||5 p.m.||Box Score||Recap|
|Sun., March 2||UTSA vs. Baylor||12:30 p.m.||GameTracker||Audio Link|
GULFPORT, Miss. - Senior lefthanded pitcher Whitney Canion lifted the No. 12-ranked Baylor Bears (15-4) to a 1-0 win over No. 14 South Alabama (14-2) Saturday night to pick up her 100th career victory. She pitched a two-hit shutout, striking out 12 on her way to becoming the seventh player in Big 12 history to reach the century mark from the pitcher's circle.
Kaitlyn Thumann's RBI single in the bottom of the seventh inning with one out, scored Jordan Strickland for the only run of the ball game to cap a big win for Baylor. The Bears had dropped an 11-10 contest to No. 24 Lousisiana Friday night during day one of the Gulf Coast Classic, and Thumann and Canion's (8-3) heroics helped the Lady Bears rebound, and Baylor is now 4-2 vs. the Top 25 this season.
Earlier Saturday, Baylor run-ruled Texas State (13-6) winning 11-1 in five innings in Liz Paul's first win of the season from the pitcher's circle. Linsey Hays and Holly Holl drove in three runs apiece in the win over the Bobcats to pace Baylor's offensive effort.
- Whitney Canion became the 7th player in Big 12 history to reach 100 wins from the pitcher's circle. It was Canion's 33rd career shutout and 98th career complete game.
- Canion struck out 12 to match a season high; it was the 25th game of Canion's career that she has struck out at least a dozen.
- Kaitlyn Thumann has reached base safely in all 19 games this season and extended her streak to 39 games overall dating back to last season.
- Thumann had one hit and an RBI vs. Texas State before putting together three hits and the game-winning RBI in the bottom of the seventh vs. South Alabama. Thumann has 34 games in her career with at least two hits.
- Liz Paul picked up her first win of the season in her first start of the year vs. Texas State. Her victory was the 21st of her caerer moving her to 9th all-time on Baylor's career wins list.
- Linsey Hays hit a 2-run homer in the first inning vs. Texas State to give her the team lead in 2014 with four.
- Holly Holl drove in a season high three runs vs. Texas State.
STAT OF THE GAME I
100 - Number of wins for Whitney Canion in her career for Baylor after she shut out No. 14 South Alabama Saturday. Canion is now behind: Cat Osterman (136, Texas, 02-03, 05-06), Keilani Ricketts (133, OU, 2010-13), Jennifer Stewart (115, OU, 1999-2002), Blaire Luna (112, Texas, 2010-13), Jenny Voss (110, Nebraska, 1997-2000), and Kami Keiter (102, OU, 2002-05) for the Big 12's all-time wins lead.
STAT OF THE GAME II
.475 - Kaitlyn Thumann's batting average through 19 games this season for Baylor (29-61).THEY TWEETED IT
Baylor will close the Gulf Coast Classic Sunday at 12:30 p.m. vs. UTSA.